Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Swords (fighting) Issue and Use

lancashire

In a book about Kut 1916 Mespotamia, when the surrender occurred after a siege in which they capitulated historically it had been standard practice for officer's to keep their swords, it is mention that this was apparently agreed then a few days later they had to be surrendered as well hence the comment from a participant.

Most of the kut troops (British and Empire forces) had been mobilized from India so I guess they took all their war like materials.

Few pictures come 1916 show Empire officers with swords attached / drawn so:

When were fighting / battle swords ceased to be issued?

Mounted cavalry more likely carried fighting swords in case they dropped their carbines - seems a useful back up to me

Would their swords have been fighting / battle or dress swords?

Formal pictures for surrenders etc often have the victors carrying them.

Curious

In 1908 a new cavalry trooper sword was approved. This weapon was for fighting. The troopers were also equipped with an SMLE, introduced in 1904. The two weapons were for use in different types of fighting. The sword on horse back and the SMLE dismounted. The latter was used very effectively in that role by the cavalry on the retreat from Mons and other early encounter battles.

At the start of the Great War all officers were still expected to arm themselves with a sword and revolver - both for use in battle - and indeed at the start of the War swords were sharpened. I am sure that some one more knowledgeable will chip in the date when this requirement was dropped. (Or maybe it happened quietly over a period?)