Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nos Heros - morts pour la patrie

Seany

An early birthday present from my Belgian family and willing to do look ups should forum chums wish it.

the book is published 1920 and names with photo's, of most, officers,sous-officiers, soldats, marins et civils killed in defence of Belgium.

Thanks for the offer Seany.

I've all but completed the research of this chap, but, on the off-chance that there is something extra (or even a photograph!), could you see if 101/61.678 Sdt.2.Kl. Hubert de Saedeleer (or 'de Sadeleer'... could also be numbered '55706' dependant upon which list is used) is listed, please?

He was born in Oultere (Aalter) on 2nd November 1894 and served in the 1ere Regiment de Ligne (1/Linieregiment) until he died of wounds received at Drie Grachten in June 1917. He died in Beveren aan den Yser military hospital on 28th June 1917 and is now buried in de Panne Belgian Military Cemetery.

Any info gratefully received!

Many thanks

Dave

Thanks Jan.

I hadn't actually seen those links before (it's a few years since I 'completed' my research on this man so haven't really looked for any further information since). Nothing on them to add to what I've already got in this particular case (other than reminding me that I misread 02/11/1894 for 02/01/1894 on some paperwork a while ago!), but certainly useful for possible future reference, so thanks for that!

Cheers again,

Dave

You have the birth place wrong as wel, it's Outer and not Aalter. Interpreting Belgian place names is quite difficult because of the Flemish/French version of the name (and the old spelling).

Jan

You have the birth place wrong as wel, it's Outer and not Aalter. Interpreting Belgian place names is quite difficult because of the Flemish/French version of the name (and the old spelling).

Jan

Wouldn't be the first time that military records and/or stampings on identity discs get it wrong then .... :whistle:

Dave ...

post-357-0-67524600-1437473607_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the offer Seany.

I've all but completed the research of this chap, but, on the off-chance that there is something extra (or even a photograph!), could you see if 101/61.678 Sdt.2.Kl. Hubert de Saedeleer (or 'de Sadeleer'... could also be numbered '55706' dependant upon which list is used) is listed, please?

He was born in Oultere (Aalter) on 2nd November 1894 and served in the 1ere Regiment de Ligne (1/Linieregiment) until he died of wounds received at Drie Grachten in June 1917. He died in Beveren aan den Yser military hospital on 28th June 1917 and is now buried in de Panne Belgian Military Cemetery.

Any info gratefully received!

Many thanks

Dave

Sorry Dave - he's not in the book! under 1ere Regiment de Ligne there are 24 officers photographs but he's not one of them.

Sorry Dave - he's not in the book! under 1ere Regiment de Ligne there are 24 officers photographs but he's not one of them.

Thanks for looking anyway, Sean. It was a long shot but...as they say...if you don't ask!

Cheers.

Dave.

Wouldn't be the first time that military records and/or stampings on identity discs get it wrong then .... :whistle:

Dave ...

The disc is correct.

Oultere (or Oultre) in East-Flanders is nowadays Outer in East-Flanders and not Aalter in East-Flanders (which was then also known as Aeltre in French).

Jan

Cheers Jan...

Just noticed the 'Aeltre' spelling on a 1917 map for Aalter.

That would explain why I couldn't find de Saedeleer's name on the Aalter war memorial, I suppose !!!! :blush:

Never mind, Ninove is just off the road on my planned route in a couple of weeks, so I might successfully see his name on a memorial (at last!). Oultre/Oultere/Outer is basically a suburb of this town now, I believe?

Thanks again.

Dave

Cheers Jan...

Just noticed the 'Aeltre' spelling on a 1917 map for Aalter.

That would explain why I couldn't find de Saedeleer's name on the Aalter war memorial, I suppose !!!! :blush:

Never mind, Ninove is just off the road on my planned route in a couple of weeks, so I might successfully see his name on a memorial (at last!). Oultre/Oultere/Outer is basically a suburb of this town now, I believe?

Thanks again.

Dave

Ninove is 10km from my families farm in Sint Lievens Esse so I'll see if my brother--in-law can take me there this evening and see if he's on the memorial - if so I'll photograph.

Thanks Sean. The memorial is attached to the church wall (in Outer) - immediately to the left of the entrance.

Cheers.

Dave.

Dave - just returned from Ninove. the church was locked up and so couldn't get inside. Checked the war memorial that is outside and photo's taken but looks like just soldiers and refugees from 14-18. I'm assuming its officers on the inside. tried to contact the priest to open but he was celebrating the national holiday somewhere.

if you want the photo's of the outside memorial I'll PM them but his name is not on it.

apologies - we may try again but I'm scheduled to go with Mrs Seany and the two little Seany's to the Gentse Feesten.

Thanks anyway Seany.... saves me a slight detour.

(He wasn't an officer by the way.... just a rock bottom Soldaat 2.Kl. )

Dave.

Dave.

that explains him not having a photograph with the officers in the book - I thought him a lieutenant - there are very few names on the outside war memorial so hopefully he is on the inside

Dave.

we went back this evening - my brother in law said it was the wrong church so not the one in Ninove but in Outer which I thought was Ninove - he is on the memorial - do you want photos here or to an email address - pm me and let me know

Thanks for that Seany.

Much appreciated.

Dave,