Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ray Westlake, The Territorials 1908-14, look-up please

clive_hughes

Can any kind person with access to Ray Westlake's The Territorials 1908-14: A Guide for Military and Family Historians (2011-12) please look up the following entries?

The location of company bases and satellite drill stations etc. in Montgomeryshire and Radnorshire. The 7th RWF and Montgomeryshire Yeomanry had a presence in the first, with the Yeomanry and part of the Herefordshire Regiment in the second. This will be of use to me in a forthcoming lecture.

many thanks,

Clive

7th Bn RWF

HQ - Newton, Montgomery

A Coy - Llanidloes. Drill stations at Montgomery, Caersws, Carno

B Coy - Newton

C Coy - Welshpool. Drill Stations at Llanfair, Llanfyllin, Llanwddyn, Llansaintffraid and Llanfechan

D Coy - Machyntteth. drill stations at Llanbrynmair, Cemmaes, Corris

E Coy - Dolgelly. Drill stations at Barmouth and Harlech

F Coy - Twoyn. Drill stations at Aberdovey, Abergwnolwyn and Llyngwril

G Coy - Bleanau Festiniog. drill stations at Festiniog and Penrhhyndeudraeth

H Coy - Bala. Drill stations at corwen, Glyndyfrdwy

Montgomeryshire Yeomanry

HQ Welshpool

A Sqn - Llanfyllyin. Drills stations at Meiford, Llanrhaiadr, Llanfihangel, Llangedwyn, Trefonen, Lanfairn and Llansaintfraid

B Sqn - Welshpool. Drill Statsions at Guilsfield, Castle Caereinion, Four Crosses, Chirbury, Berriew, Trewern, Forden

C Sqn - Newton. drill stations at Church Stoke, Caersws, New Mills, Llanbrynmair, Montomery, Trefeglyws, Bettws, Cemmaes Road, Dolfor and Llangurig

D Sqn - Llandrindod Wells, Drill Stations at Llanidloes, Builth Wells, Rhayader, Llanbister, Knighton and Hay

Herefordshire Regt

HQ - Hereford

A Coy - Hereford. DS at Peterchurch, Madley, Marden and Burghill

B Coy - Ross.DS at Upton Bishop

C Coy - Ledbury. DS at Colwall, Much Marcle and Bosbury

D Coy - Kington. DS at Presteigne, Eardisley

E Coy - Ruardean. DS at Littledean,

F Coy - Leominster. DS at Bromyard

G Coy - Rhayader with drill stations at Knighton, Chapel Lawn, Newbridge, Bucknell and Llandridod Wells

H Coy - Hereford

Doubtless lots of spellling errors. Apologies for that but I imagine you can work it out. MG

Martin,

The odd transcription error notwithstanding, I'm most grateful for your speedy assistance!

As a matter of interest, did Radnorshire fall within the Regimental recruiting area of the KSLI?

Clive

Martin,

The odd transcription error notwithstanding, I'm most grateful for your speedy assistance!

As a matter of interest, did Radnorshire fall within the Regimental recruiting area of the KSLI?

Clive

Ref Radnorshire

1. All regular units could on occasion recruit outside their designated Regimental Recruiting district. Whether they needed specific permission to do so is unclear but regular line infantry could and did recruit right across the country.

2. TF Battalions were slightly different. Each County Association controlled TF recruiting within their Regimental (read County) recruiting district. If a neighbouring County Association wanted to recruit in another regimental district, the two TF County Associataions would come to some kind of agreements. I know Cheshire had TF drill stations in Derbyshire for example. I don't know if Shropshire had any in Radnorshire. If the 1914 distribution of drill stations is any indication, the 1/4th Bn KSLI TF did not have any representation in Wales.

Regiments based in more than one County are obvious examples: Sherwood Foresters and Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. Both Counties had their own TF Assocaitions and the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (I can't recall which one) had drill stations in Derbyshire.

It is a complex subject and one I am only beginning to understand. I think there are lots of misconceptions about recruiting districts and territorially defined areas of responsibility. I would be the first to admit that I dion't fully understand it yet, but it is an area of great interest.

MG

PS. I would recommend "British Army Register No.1 The Territorial Force 1914" by Ray Westlake. It is a gazetteer of Unit HQs, and drill stations. It is a very different book to the one referred to in the OP. MG

the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (I can't recall which one) had drill stations in Derbyshire.

Sherwood Rangers.

PS. I would recommend "British Army Register No.1 The Territorial Force 1914" by Ray Westlake. It is a gazetteer of Unit HQs, and drill stations.

So would I. An excellent and invaluable book.

Thank you both for the further information and recommendation: I must look into getting a copy.

Clive

I have just managed to read G.Archer Parfitt (Ed.) Radnorshire Volunteers. A Regimental History of Radnorshire 1539-1968 (Hay on Wye 1968). He was the curator of the KSLI Museum a little later on.

He states that in 1914 Col. A.H.Doyle commander of the Depot at Shrewsbury had competent military authority over the 53rd Regimental Area, viz. Shropshire, Herefordshire and Radnorshire. This included (until the Ministry of National Service took over recruiting in November 1917) recruiting duties in the same area. However, "correctly Radnorshire formed part of the 24th Regimental District with HQ at Brecon, but Col. Doyle's military authority over Radnorshire was a natural result of the fact that G (Radnorshire) Company of the Herefordshire Regiment was part of the corps of the KSLI".

This arose from the administrative uniting of the Radnorshire and Herefordshire Volunteer Rifle Corps as 1st Admin. Battn. Herefordshire VRC as early as 1863, and lasted till 1920. It was also seemingly revived in the organisation of the Home Guard in the 1940s.

Further, by 1916 Shropshire had two VTC battalions (Northern and Southern respectively) based at Wellington and Shrewsbury. Army Order 208 of July 1918 meant that the two became Volunteer Battalions of the KSLI. Two platoons of D Company 2nd Volr Battalion KSLI were raised in Radnorshire at Knighton and Llandrindod Wells. Parfitt states they wore the KSLI insignia with Volr. differences as per your other thread.

Not sure if this information helps or hinders!

Clive

Regiments based in more than one County are obvious examples: Sherwood Foresters and Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. Both Counties had their own TF Assocaitions and the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry (I can't recall which one) had drill stations in Derbyshire.

And as you mentioned the Cheshire - Derbyshire inconsistencies

Men from Disley (Cheshire) joining Notts and Derby

And

Men from Glossop (Derbys) joining Cheshires