Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Enlisted 17 March 1916. Wounded on the Somme.

Ferguson73uk

I am researching 50113 Pte Edgar Bassett, later one of the leading lights of the Co-operative Society in Ammanford, Wales. He enlisted in the 2nd Welsh on 17 March 1916 and was discharged on 1 November 1917, suffering from shell-shock. He was wounded sometime during the Battle of the Somme and was awarded the SWB.

My question is: how soon after he enlisted was he likely to be fighting on the Somme, so I can narrow this down a little?

Many thanks.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

I have found a Casualty Listing for Edgar in The Times dated 29th September 1916, suffering from Shell-Shock.

Mark

Many thanks, Mark. So it looks like it was only a few months between his enlisting and fighting on the Somme.

• Admin

Not sure how helpful this is but 50101 Rowlands enlisted 13 March and posted to the 21st Bn Welsh Regiment he embarked for the BEF on the 11th June and was sent to 5 IBD Rouen and from there was postedand re numbered to the 2nd RWF on the 2nd July. Whether your man was in the same group difficult to say with certainty but with twelve weeks training in the UK seems about right.

The 2nd Welsh war diary shows the Battalion was receiving small drafts of men through June 1916.

It appears most othe men in this series I.e. 501** whose records survive went to the 12 th Bn (which is no help at all!)

Ken

• 8 years later...

Dear Jonathan.  Probably 9 years too late for you but today I came across your post for Private Edgar Bassett.  Happy to explain why I was googling him another time.  Edgar Bassett was my husband Ray’s grandfather.  We have a lot of family history information about Edgar. We are happy to share this with you if you are interested.  He had a fascinating life story and was much revered by everyone he came in touch with.  As well as his Great War activities and his political life.     We also wondered why you had chosen Grandfather for your research.   Very happy to reply to you privately.

Best wishes

Julie Bassett (grand daughter-in-law) 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Ferguson73uk last visited the forum last year, so my tag might alert them to your post. 

Hello Julie.

I have checked my records and cannot discover why I was researching Edgar at the time. I think he may have popped up while I was researching for one of my books but I didn't take it any further for some reason. Sorry! I have a photo of him later in life if you'd like it but you probably have it anyway. Message me if you'd like a copy.

Thanks, Michelle, for alerting me to this post. 

Regards to you both,

Jonathan

Dear Jonathan, thank you for your speedy reply.  Edgar Bassett died in 1949 and, because of the support he had given his comrades during those months on the Somme (advocacy, translating  and writing letters on their behalf because he spoke both Welsh and English) he was given a hero's send off at his funeral.  We do know the reason he enlisted in 1916, if you are interested.   We only have one or two photographs of him and would much appreciated a copy of the one you have.  What information do I need to send to you for you to email me a photo?

Thank you again.

And thank you Michelle for alerting Jonathan to my previous message.

Best wishes

Julie 

• Admin

Click on Jonathans avatar picture, then this opens up his profile. Then click on the envelope icon,. You can then send a private message.