Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos please

dannybou

Hello, I am researching a riot in which a member of the Metropolitan Police was killed by rioting Canadian soldiers in 1919. What I'm interested in obtaining are photographs of the following:

The Epsom police station circa 1919

The convalescent hospital in Epsom

The monument (grave) of Station Sgt Thomas Green.

Any other info would be appreciated like the town population back in 1919, what the economy of the town was, etc... Many thanks

The population of Epsom & Ewell in 1901 was 17,158. By 1921 it had risen to 22,946.

Epsom Military Convalecent Hospital was situated in Woodcote Park.

This is a photo of Canadians at Epsom Camp in 1916.

Dave

This photo appeared in the Toronto Star on July 3rd, 1919.

I also have two more 1919 articles, plus a 1917 article interviewing Canadian soldiers at Epsom hospital and their opinion of the hospital (article headed "too much red tape").

Let me know if you would like to see those, or if they are not on topic for you.

Marika

post-6-1100540364.jpg

That is exactly what I am looking for. The photo you have posted is the aftermath of the riot in which Sation Sgt Green was killed. Any and all photos or articles would be welcomed. If you want to do this by email, just let me know and I'll PM it to you. Thanks

Thanks for the links. I must add though that the first link relates to a murder mystery book and briefly speaks about the murder of the police officer as a mystery. That is not really true as the murderer confessed 10 years later in Winnipeg, Canada of the murder. I obtained a copy of his confession from the Canada and UK archives. Just FYI. ;)

Danny

Woodcote Park Convalecent Hospital Camp, Epsom 1918.

Source: World War I - A Visual Encyclopedia Gen Ed. Simon Forty

Thanks again. Keep the photos coming. I wonder if a member of this forum who resides in Epsom, Surrey, would have a photo of Station Sgt Green's cemetary cross?

Danny

This is the Rifleman Pub in East Street Epsom which is connected with your story.

Dave

Wow thanks. It sure is related as that was the watering hole the Canadians attended on a regular basis and this is where an arrest was made after a disturbance which eventually lead to the riot and confrontation with the police officers. Do you know if the same police station is still there today?

Danny

Epsom Police Station is still in Church Street although I am not sure if it is the same building I will try to find out for you.

Mean time this is Woodcote Park as it is today.

Dave

Do you know if the same police station is still there today?

The police station in Church Street Epsom is relatively modern and was not the one in use in 1919, - that was in Ashley Road Epsom, opposite the Methodist Church.

I dont go into Epsom very often and cant immediately recall whether the original police building is still there - but I have an idea that it is, under some sort of commercial use - but dont take that as confirmed correct without checking. The surrounding area is much changed since the Ashley Shopping Centre was built, - that is much changed since I used to catch the bus to school from the stop outside the church.

During those (thankfully brief) schooldays in Epsom the interior of the old police station was also "known" to me - as was the interior of the new Church Street establishment (call it fact-finding missions of unspecified purpose, and leave it at that). Another relevant local landmark was (still is) the Magistrates Court in The Parade, just off Ashley Road and very convenient for the old nick.

regards - Tom

Thanks for the good info. Any photos of the old police station available? How about a photo of Station Sgt Green's grave? thanks

The following booklet published by Actel, 32, Wilson Road, Chessington, Surrey, in the late 1990's may be of interest?

'The Murder of Station Sergeant Thomas Green at Epsom Police Station 17th June, 1919' by Edward Shortland.

The author served with the Guards Brigade before joining the Metropolitan Police and carrying out duties on 'A' Division, Scotland Yard and 'V' Division.

As expected this is a well researched book and covers the whole episode 1919 to 1929 it also includes photocopies of material from the Public Records Office & Canadian Archives as well as photographs of 'The Rifleman' & 'The Ladas' public houses, Police Station in 1919, with the railings torn down & police on guard & Sgt. Green's grave and inscription in Epsom cemetery.

Booklet should be available via the library service.

Regards,

Alan

I'm sorry but which library service? UK archives?

You should be able to order it through your local library service, if you live in the UK?

Alan

I'm in Canada.

As the incident involves Canadian Forces it's possible that there might be a copy of the booklet in the Canadian Archives Library?

The following is taken from part of an article on the incident and published in the 'Kingston Guardian' newspaper.

“Mr Shortland, who lives in Chessington, and was a police officer at Surbiton, Esher and other stations for 15 years, has spent two years researching this strange story. Now he has published it in booklet form. Edward Shortland's illustrated booklet costs £3.50 and is published by his firm, Actel, at 32 Wilson Road, Chessington.” (Surrey. UK.)

The 'Kingston Guardian' published the above in March 1999 it seems the booklet was published by the author's own firm 'Actel' so there's a very good chance the booklet is still available, suggest you contact him direct.

The full feature can be found at:

http://www.kingstonguardian.co.uk/archive/...469293.0.0.html

Alan

I can't seem to find anything on the web about this booklet. Would he have a website?