Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

XLV Bde RFA, 8 Div

spyinthesky2

Good day to you all

I have been researching 1 Bty RFA for some years although with a long pause due to work commitments and I am trying to re-invent myself having being invited to deliver a presentation on 1st Battery to it's current JNCO's.

A few years ago I attempted to write the complete history for the Battery but came to so many dead ends. Instead I now aim to complete as much as I can and give it to the Battery at Larkhill.

I do have a fair chunk of information including the Batteries own war diary (written post war) which has places where in action and movements but it tends to have gaps with some dates. I have a casualty list which I do not believe is anywhere near complete as some of the battles included heavy shelling and the Battery being over-run during the German offensive.

What I am trying to find out is

1. Is the XLV Bde War diary digitised (or has anyone got a copy)

2. Are there any other routes to follow for casualties apart from CWGC,SDGW etc

3. Anything relating to the Battery/Brigade/Division (I do have a copy of Boraston & Bax 8th Div 14-18)

many thanks

Paul

Hello Paul

The War Diary should have been digitised by now, and therefore should be available on the National Archives website for download. I think it costs around £3.50.

There is a sample of RFA medical records in class MH106 at Kew, but they are not digitised as far as I know. But this may be a wild goose chase for you!

The father of a friend of mine was with this brigade, and with one of 8 Div's TM batteries. He was captured on the Aisne in May 1918.

Ron

Ron

Many thanks, I will give it a go for the diary though I think the medical lists maybe a long haul operation.

Paul

Paul

Young Contemptible by John Wedderburn Maxwell is a brief personal account of an officer of the Brigade - not sure his battery though.

Regards

Colin

Colin

Not read it yet, I have heard of it but he wasn't 1st Battery. Definitely add this to my library.

Many thanks

Paul

Hello Paul

The War Diary should have been digitised by now, and therefore should be available on the National Archives website for download. I think it costs around £3.50.

There is a sample of RFA medical records in class MH106 at Kew, but they are not digitised as far as I know. But this may be a wild goose chase for you!

The father of a friend of mine was with this brigade, and with one of 8 Div's TM batteries. He was captured on the Aisne in May 1918.

Ron

Ron

£3.30 well spent and it seems the only casualties that I am missing are also from the Aisne as so any were captured(another list I need to find)

Thanks

Paul

Paul

Young Contemptible by John Wedderburn Maxwell is a brief personal account of an officer of the Brigade - not sure his battery though.

Regards

Colin

Colin

Your man served as a Lieut in 5 Bty 45 Bde and went on to be BC of 36 Bty 33 Bde of the same Division.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Glad to see you're still active pursuing 1 Bty! I can't remember if we discussed this before or not, but as well as the brigade war diary I've found the Commander Royal Artillery 8th Division can be useful (also now digitised) - it certainly helped me wrt. my 5 Bty research in the past.

All the best

Steve

Hi Paul,

Glad to see you're still active pursuing 1 Bty! I can't remember if we discussed this before or not, but as well as the brigade war diary I've found the Commander Royal Artillery 8th Division can be useful (also now digitised) - it certainly helped me wrt. my 5 Bty research in the past.

All the best

Steve

Steve

Yes I think I will try the CRAs' diary once I have finished with the Brigades. It is good to have some reminders from members like yourself.

Regards

Paul