Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My researchee is driving me up the wall!

seaJane

Hi All

Re Post 17, The children listed on the records show Mstr. A is an infant, ie. under 1 (Column Heading), so it can't be our man.

Regards Barry

The Univ of Edinburgh Roll of Honour gives Alloa Academy, and according to one of the ICRC POW records his person to contact was a Dr Richmond in Alloa; so it all meshes in. (might his parents have died?)

There must be a slight age miscalculation or transcription error somewhere as in April 1911 he was 12.

So much hard work - I'm very grateful!

It probably is an error about his age. We only have the summary books for the Scottish 1911 Census not the household forms, so there is slight scope for a transcription error. If William Millar got it wrong, it would male him a bit less likely to be relative. I wonder if he could have lied about his age and been stuck with it afterwards?

It's very odd. Archibald was the only Richmond in the 1911 census in Alloa. There are no Richmonds in Alloa in the 1915, 1920 or 1925 valuation rolls - it doesn't mean there weren't any only they weren't the registered tenants, proprietors or occupiers. The other possibility would be that Dr Richmond was his father (- even his mother?) who had returned to the UK by then.

RM

Hi All

Re Post 17, The children listed on the records show Mstr. A is an infant, ie. under 1 (Column Heading), so it can't be our man.

Regards Barry

I agree, I thought the ages were iffy. I did wonder about if the other boy's initial might match one of Archibald's other initials - but couldn't make out what the initial is!

RM

Thanks RM!

I must go back to the ICRC POW database links as if I recall correctly one of them gives a different relative not in Alloa. Busy today but will check later.

Hi All,

The Red Cross records show his Uncle Dr.A.H.Richmond of 3 Gordon Mansions, Gordon Square, London W.C. was contacted. British Phone Books list him as a Surgeon 1911-17. Also Dr.Harper, Grange Manse, Alloa. I think Dr.Harper was the Minister. Also Sam Bryden JP, Ex Provost of Glenan Gardens, Helensburgh was contacted.

Can't find any further details for these three people. No doubt a member with access to the Scottish records can oblige.

Regards Barry

Hi All,

The Red Cross records show his Uncle Dr.A.H.Richmond of 3 Gordon Mansions, Gordon Square, London W.C. was contacted. British Phone Books list him as a Surgeon 1911-17. Also Dr.Harper, Grange Manse, Alloa. I think Dr.Harper was the Minister. Also Sam Bryden JP, Ex Provost of Glenan Gardens, Helensburgh was contacted.

Can't find any further details for these three people. No doubt a member with access to the Scottish records can oblige.

Regards Barry

Thanks Barry,

I'll follow those up.

RM

Bless you Barry and thanks!

Also thanks to RM. I've been researching in the very small gaps between work and 'Macbeth' and helping a friend book a holiday, so haven't had much time to sit down to things.

Do you suppose I'm correct in theorising that his parents may have died before 1917 - or even before 1911?

Hi

It's 2 a.m and I am going to stop having nearly cracked it - except ironically who his parents were! Here goes!

If Andrew Henderson Richmond of 3 Gordon Mansions, Francis Street, London WC (MB CM, Glasgow, 1887) was his uncle, his aunt was Henrietta Fullerton Richmond, wife of Rev James Wilson Harper, United Free Church minister in Alloa.

At the time of the 1911 census, James and Henrietta were not in Alloa, but at a boarding house in Torquay. Perhaps Archibald, normally lived with his aunt and uncle at the manse, but was living with the Millars while they were away - hence the error in the age?

Archibald's paternal grandparents (parents of Andrew Henderson Richmond and Henrietta Fullerton Richmond/Harper) were Daniel and Henrietta Fullerton Richmond.

They had nine children (six sons (found so far) of whom Andrew was the youngest). One son died single in 1891, which leaves four possibilities.) (Daniel was also a doctor.)

The situation is further confused since Henrietta Fullerton Richmond, although Henrietta McKinnon, a widow when she married Daniel was originally Henrietta Fullerton Richmond, her father being Colonel Richmond, an Indian administrator/ army officer. As a result there seem to be relatives on her side of the family with similar names.

A cousin of Archibald's was killed serving with the Border Regiment in 1916.

Edit: Colonel Richmond was Colonel Archibald Fullerton Richmond (later Major General).

RM

Hi All

Andrew Henderson Richmond died 13.2.1924, Margate. Probate was granted to Archibald H D O Richmond (full name given). I'm sure there is more to come......

Is there any treatment for GWF addiction!!!!

Regards Barry

He divorced in 1901 Florence Charlotte Richmond. details on Ancestry!! 1911 at 3 Gordon Mansions on his own. Shown as married.

The sons of Daniel and Henrietta Fullerton Richmond which I have found (so far):

Thomas Wilson Richmond, born 1849, died in Glasgow 1891, a medical student aged 41;

Daniel McCorkindale Richmond, born 1853;

Henry Fullerton Richmond, born 1856;

William Moore Richmond, born 1860;

Albert Edward Richmond, born 1862;

Andrew Henderson Richmond, born 1865.

All born in Paisley.

It gives us four possibilities at the moment.

So far I haven't found any of the family in the 1871 census.

Bless you Barry and thanks!

Also thanks to RM. I've been researching in the very small gaps between work and 'Macbeth' and helping a friend book a holiday, so haven't had much time to sit down to things.

Do you suppose I'm correct in theorising that his parents may have died before 1917 - or even before 1911?

I would tend to think that they were dead by 1917, unless they were somewhere very inaccessible.

Hi Again

Henrietta Fullerton Richmond OR Harper, widow, died 27.4.1940. 19 Hatton Place, Edinburgh.

Probate to Archibald Hamilton Douglas Richmond, Surgeon.

.......Barry.

(Her first marriage was 10th Sept.1839 in India to John Mckinnen)........OK!!! Wrong one.

Edited by The Inspector

If she first married in 1839 and died in 1940 ....!?

Barry, been following your detective work with interest, but this is a surprise...

Henrietta Fullerton Richmond OR Harper, widow, died 27.4.1940. 19 Hatton Place, Edinburgh.

Probate to Archibald Hamilton Douglas Richmond, Surgeon.

.......Barry.

Her first marriage was 10th Sept.1839 in India to John Mckinnen

That's 101 years AFTER she married, making her about 120!!

Now we DO have a 120 year old chap, Isaac Ingalls buried here in Battle, but I haven't heard of a woman that age!!

EDIT: Curses, beaten to it!

Snap, Kevin! :)

Hi All

I think it is time for a break!!!! Obviously the OTHER Henrietta Fullerton Richmond. His grandmother. I am confused.....nothing new. BUT I WON'T GIVE UP

Regards Barry

Barry, been following your detective work with interest, but this is a surprise...

That's 101 years AFTER she married, making her about 120!!

Now we DO have a 120 year old chap, Isaac Ingalls buried here in Battle, but I haven't heard of a woman that age!!

EDIT: Curses, beaten to it!

That Henrietta is the aunt, widow of the UF Church minister, daughter of the original Henrietta! That Henrietta was nearly 82.

The original Henrietta died intestate. There is a Scottish inquisition (for probate) in 1890, but I haven't found the death record yet.

RM

Hi RM

Thanks, Re your post 17. The other child is a Mstr H. between 1 and 12 yrs old. Mrs. A,P. Richmond?????

Regards Barry

At some point I'm going to have to write this all down in words of one syllable... but it's good to know I'm not the only one getting confused.

For what it's worth, I have Archibald's descendants on a document at work - will post that tomorrow.

Wait until you try to match up all the Archibald Fullerton Richmond probates!

At some point I'm going to have to write this all down in words of one syllable... but it's good to know I'm not the only one getting confused.

For what it's worth, I have Archibald's descendants on a document at work - will post that tomorrow.

It will probably be easier if I PM you a pdf of the family tree.

RM

I just might, possibly have a solution. Maybe?

Henrietta Fullerton/McKinnon/Richmond left a very interesting holograph will leaving all equally to her six (presumably surviving) children - 3 daughters and 3 sons; the sons being Thomas Wilson Richmond (died 1891 - see #35), Albert Edward Richmond, and Andrew Henderson Richmond.

I still need to check things a bit more.

Edit: Nearer, I think. Albert Edward RICHMOND, Clerk in the Education Authority died on 27 October 1927 in Paisley, widower of Annie Watt ORD.

It will probably be easier if I PM you a pdf of the family tree.

RM

Yes, it probably will - thank you so much!

As I said, I'll add on what other details I have tomorrow when I've got them off the machine at work.

:)

sJ

No wonder the names are confusing. I found the obituary of Colonel/ Major General Archibald Fullerton Richmond. Daniel Richmond and Henrietta Fullerton Richmond/McKinnon (parents of Andrew Henderson Richmond, etc.) were first cousins!

Argh! :blink:

After some consideration I have posted AHDO Richmond's descendant details (such as I have) to Roger in private, as some of them are quite probably still alive.

sJ