Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I am researching my grandmother, Florence Isabella Knight. She was a worker in the munitions factory at Park Royal during WW1 and she had part of her finger blown off while filling a detonator. Presumably this would be with Mercury? I found a wonderful picture on Flickr entitled "Dont Laugh at trousers" This is a postcard which shows a group of munitions workers, many of whom are wearing their 'On War Service' triangular badges. Florence is definitely the little lady at the back right of the group. I wondered if anyone has more information on this picture. In particular, the board at the front says "F Bay Machines" and I dont know what this refers to. Also the date underneath looks like 1918 but this seems unlikely. Could it be 1916? The address on the back of the photograph says "E Gage, No 4693 Maintenance Department, Park Royal" I assume this to be a reference to the name of the lady on the left who probably sent the postcard and is the only one wearing trousers! I would be really grateful for any help on this topic

Many thanks

Avril

post-123368-0-43893800-1436795956_thumb.

Thank you for the quick response. I will check this out. I did find a wonderful book today on the internet archiver book reader. It is called "Munition Lasses - six months as principle overlooker in danger buildings" by Agnes Kate Foxwell. It was published in 1917 and can be downloaded free of charge to a kindle or a computer, if anyone is interested

Avril.

My guess would be that these ladies are machine operators who all worked in the same bay of their building. The bottom line could be the building number - 191P maybe? The MOD likes numbering all the buildings on a site with numbers like that and I don't suppose it was any different in WW1.

Roger

That's really helpful. I never considered it could be other than a date but your suggestion makes a lot of sense. Thank you very much. She said she was "filling detonators" but I wondered about the fact the back of the postcard refers to maintenance department. Could this just refer to a particular person ( the one wearing trousers) who worked on maintenance in that bay?

Avril

Edited by knightfamily

There's a wonderful set of unwritten rules when it comes to group photos, and they don't seem to have changed ever! The boss seated in the middle with her senior acolytes on each side and then the workers all around, generally with the most junior cross-legged on the floor at the front. So it makes perfect sense to me for someone who works with the group but is not of the group to be positioned at the side as though they have been brought in as an afterthought - like your lady with the trousers.

Roger

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder if this is connected 

Same surname same place 

A9110B07-17D0-45EB-B846-05E2F44D8287.jpeg

3C26EB73-1B54-48D5-96B2-E2515FBA3FC0.jpeg

AEACCD5E-3FBD-48FD-BBF3-D7D90ED1F797.jpeg