Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Orders - Where are they?

jdevereux

The AO's are listed in the Bodleian on-line catalogue, so it looks like Oxford has a set too.

ACI's are also in the Bod catalogue but their set appears to start in 1916. Their AO's date back to 1888.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark I think that ACIs as such began in 1916. Their predecessors were titled War Office Instructions (from memory ..... Away from home)

ACIs under that title did not start until 1916. From 1914 they were called War Office Instructions.

Edit: Grumpy beat me to it!

Ron

Quick thank you to all of your answers and assistance.

I will have a look at those resources.

Much appreciated!

Regards,

Winordie

So I take that I am essentially correct except that the BL is a separate case and the others are represented by one agency.

Thread drift of course.

No, see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/28/section/4 BL is entitled to a copy (with no qualification, which must be delivered within a month of publication), while the other 5 are only entitled following a request, http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/28/section/5. Of course. much of the time they will indeed request, but I understand they don't always.

Mark I think that ACIs as such began in 1916. Their predecessors were titled War Office Instructions (from memory ..... Away from home)

The Bod catalogue has multiple (at least 50) entries marked Author - War Office with titles following the pattern 'Instructions for ....'.

E.g.

Instructions for cavalry advanced and rear guards, outposts, &c. (1876)

Instructions to military cooks in the preparation of dinners at the instructional kitchen, Aldershot (1878)

Instructions for fitting valise equipment. (multiple editions from 1874, 1890 [2 eds], 1891, 1892, 1895)

Instructions for fitting and wearing the equipment, bandolier, pattern 1903. (1904)

Instructions for the care and preservation of bicycles [afterw.] military bicycles. (1904 & 1905)

Instructions for the management and preservation of brass side drums. (1881)

Instructions in bayonet fighting, for competitions [afterw.] Bayonet fighting. Instruction with service rifle and bayonet. (Multiple eds 1908, 1911 & 1915)

Lots more titles along similar lines.

A few titles date after ACI's started in 1916, but as far as I could see, only as late editions on titles that already existed BEFORE 1916.

I'm guessing these are the WO Instructions that were replaced by the ACI's???

There is also an entry thus ...

War Office - General index to the army regulations and instructions. (1897-1902)

Mark