Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Bayonets of the First World War'

MikeyH

A recent birthday gift from my daughter bless her, with some input from me! A large format colour book by Claude Bera and Bernard Aubry originally published in France. This 2013 edition by Schiffer Publishing in the U.S.A. consists of an 80 page review of the bayonets used by all the nations involved in the Great War. All of the main types of bayonet are pictured and described. The illustrations are generally very good showing both bayonets and scabbards, with some detail pictures, all arranged chronologically and by nationality. There are a few odd glitches in the translation.

Would describe it as an overview rather than a detailed history. It would have been nice to see for example something on the bayonet makers with listings and notes on those that can be encountered. A nice feature is a full page photo of uniforms, rifles and bayonets plus other equipment of all the main combatants.

Mike.

I would agree that it has excellent pictures -- but overall I was rather less impressed. (see comments)

Chris

I would agree that it has excellent pictures -- but overall I was rather less impressed. (see comments)

Chris

Chris,

Although not professing to be an expert on bayonets, I did pick up on some of the points that you mention. A great pity, the book could have been so much better. So the market is still open for a definitive guide to Great War Bayonets.......

Mike.