Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Militaria and London Buses

4thGordons

In a week when I filled a long standing gap in my rifle collection I have now added a pointy thing to one of my hitherto unadorned rifles.

No scabbard unfortunately, but beggars can't be choosers...

post-14525-0-82365100-1436640942_thumb.j

post-14525-0-53569300-1436640949_thumb.j

post-14525-0-82470700-1436640962_thumb.j

Chris

Ah yes, the bayonet made for the Belgium M1889 in America during the war. They are often found without scabbard, and when they are the leather hanger is usually awry.

They are a nice bayonet but most on the collector's market never left the US. The scabbard for the Winchester M1895 version the Russians used can be a useful substitute.

Cheers, S>S

Yes there are no Acceptance marks of any sort on the bayonet so probably did not leave as you say.

It is also marked Plumb which I believe is the mark of Fayette R Plumb (Inc) who manufactured bayonets in their plant at Bridesburg Pa. They also made bayonets for Serbian and Russian contracts. Mercaldo (p126) speculates these were subcontractors for the Hopkins and Allen contract .

Still - matches the rifle nicely.

post-14525-0-94885200-1436661373_thumb.j

Chris

Do you think I should attempt any sort of cleaning on the blade?

Plumb.? Where are the Plumb markings stamped.? Normally just the Hopkins & Allen makers mark as shown. Yours is well marked, some are very lightly stamped.

The condition isn't too bad but you aren't going to be able to remove that staining on the metalwork. I would just wipe down with oil, and rub off any active rust spots.

PS. Ah OK, I see the Plumb marking stamped across the other crossguard. I knew about the Serbian contract but haven't seen these Belgium jobs marked like that.

Cheers, S>S

... No scabbard unfortunately, but beggars can't be choosers...

Ah yes, the bayonet made for the Belgium M1889 in America during the war. They are often found without scabbard, and when they are the leather hanger is usually awry.

They are a nice bayonet but most on the collector's market never left the US. The scabbard for the Winchester M1895 version the Russians used can be a useful substitute.

I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere (GBF?) that there is some debate over the precise type of American-made scabbard used with these Plumb-marked H&A contract bayonets - but I don't know the details, so can either of you elaborate?

That aside, a nice find there - SS is the only other GWF member I know of to have one one of thoese (but not Plumb marked), see: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=208823&page=1entry2060246post no.5.