Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New things to see in the Ypres area?

Max Poilu

I used to visit Ypres a lot but all the recent trips have been to the Somme area. Off for a 'pack-it-all-in' day trip on the 26th Nov and hopefully a longer stay next summer.

Can Pals help with new places that have appeared in the last couple of years?

Firstly, we want to visit the Passchendaele Memorial museum at Zonnebeke - sad to say I never got to see the old Streekmuseum so this will be our main museum visit of the day. Will it be open all day 26th Nov and will there be any Belgian pals working there that day?

Hoping to see the Boezinge trench display, last time we were there was about 5 years ago when Jacky P. kindly showed us round the trench excavations. Remember seeing endless cartridges, bits of German cardboard packing and lumps of yellow TNT lying about - guess it's changed a bit since? ;)

I remember reading there is a new bookshop in Ypres and maybe a bar run by a Pal?

Anything else? As always we will try and pack far too much in - I can never leave Ypres without seeing Hill 60/62/Hooge/Spanbroekmolen/Ploegsteert/Railway Wood etc, etc...

You might like to see the restored Bayernwald (Croonart Wood) trenches, although gaining the access code can be tricky (see other threads on this). Pal Kristof helped me out with this on a recent visit. Can recommend the Sante, run by forum contributor Patrick. It is now the official cafe of the Bury Grammar School Battlefields Tour-friendly welcome, excellent food and drink. 'Best coffee in Ypres' (Mrs Hone). It is a short distance up Botterstraat from the Grote Markt (and near the fabulous Calinor chocolate shop, much superior to the ones on the square)

Giles.

Agree with Mark, Bayernwald is worth the trip. The access code can be obtained from the tourist office in Kemmel - coming from Ieper on the N331 turn right at the roundabout and it is on the left hand side a short way down.

The Zonnebeke museum is also excellent - you will not be disappointed.

have a good trip.

Neil

Giles - I echo everything which other Pals have said. The restored Yorkshire Trench, which Jacky showed you is well worth a visit and so is the Caterpillar mine-crater on the other side of the railway line from Hill 60, which was privately owned until quite recently.

(Two years without being there is a long time. With the end of the School Battlefield tour season and the start of the bookselling business, I haven't been over there for four weeks now, and the withdrawal symptoms are unbearable sometimes. I don't think I could last two years!!)

Tom

I would be recommending the large St Eloi Mine crater as well, but as chronicled on other threads, difficulties with the landowner have so far scuppered plans to make it freely accessible. The site of the Royal Warwicks' Christmas Truce now has a couple of memorials (the Khaki Chums' cross and the Holts' Bairnsfather Plaque) and the walk into Ploegsteert Wood from nearby Prowse Point Cemetery is incredibly atmospheric.

Hi Giles how long is it since you went? As well as the above the Hooge Crater museum continues to expand, link on site below. Is the Bar The Shell hole, bar and b&b and attached bookshop new and older books, as well as a new bookshop on the Left just up before the Menin gate. generally the restaurants and eating facilities are also getting much better. On the downside the industrial area north of the town gets ever busier as does the traffic on all roads.

Have a care parking and on the roads generally.

There are now even more places to eat, although I'm not altogether a fan of the 'minimalist' approach to decor which seems to have started at the Regina and spread to the Vivaldi and the Cyper, amongst others.

Come on Belgian Pals! ;)

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Tom and Salient,

Yep, two years is a long time...I used to get to the old Western Front every 2 - 3 months or so, now it is more like every 4 - 5.

Still...going November and January and March so far next year so lots to look forward to. :)

Is the Bar The Shell hole

No. There were a few posts here by a new bar owner some months ago I believe?

I used to stay at the Shell Hole many times but the final straw was being put in a broom cupboard of a room at the same rate and a disco over the road going until 5 in the morning. Never again. We really like to rent a house as we do in the Somme but this is very pricy in the Salient.

It is amazing how Ypres has changed over the years with all the wealth in the town. Some of the shops would not be out of place in Knightsbridge or Bond Street.

The Sante is the new bar in Ypres you refer to (see my earlier posting).

Cheers Mark (terrible pun). Thinking of a bar, I was expecting a pub bar (as in the UK) rather than cafe type. Hopefully we can give it a try.

• Admin
We really like to rent a house as we do in the Somme but this is very pricy in the Salient.

Hi Giles

Agree re renting in the Ypres area, but have you thought about a gite just over the border? I have stayed in Au Piebrouck, Berthen which is on the slopes of the Mont Des Cats, and recommend it! Its a short drive into the Salient.

Cheers, Michelle :blink:

Sorry-probably my too free use of the word 'cafe'. The Sante is a bar which does food, in the same way as the T'Klein Staadthuis in the Grote Markt. The beer is excellent and they have at least one guest beer on tap.