Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guest RiceMan88

Guest RiceMan88

I recently obtained this. I've done a little research (all on here and a couple other dealer sites) and assume it's reworked. Any ideas what all the markings mean?

post-123314-0-19163600-1436554237_thumb.

post-123314-0-42205200-1436554317_thumb.

post-123314-0-78518100-1436554406_thumb.

I recently obtained this. I've done a little research (all on here and a couple other dealer sites) and assume it's reworked. Any ideas what all the markings mean?

Welcome to the Forum.

Your bayonet started out as a British Pattern 1888 Bayonet, which was subsequently converted in India to a Pattern 1903 Bayonet, probably at Ishapore.

Your bayonet has a mixture of original British markings and markings applied in India during it's conversion.

The marking shown in the top left photo ' I ^ G ' is the Indian Government ownership marking.

Top right photo shows Indian inspection marks, and a feint original British inspection mark, the ' X ' blade bend test mark, and a November date month mark with an unreadable year mark.

Bottom photo shows the Royal Crown, the ' 1903 ' Bayonet Pattern mark, below which is a November date month mark with an unreadable year mark, which was either the bayonet's original acceptance date mark or the subsequent conversion date mark ?

Regards,

LF

... Your bayonet started out as a British Pattern 1888 Bayonet, which was subsequently converted in India to a Pattern 1903 Bayonet, probably at Ishapore.

Your bayonet has a mixture of original British markings and markings applied in India during it's conversion.

The marking shown in the top left photo ' I ^ G ' is the Indian Government ownership marking.

Top right photo shows Indian inspection marks, and a feint original British inspection mark, the ' X ' blade bend test mark, and a November date month mark with an unreadable year mark.

Bottom photo shows the Royal Crown, the ' 1903 ' Bayonet Pattern mark, below which is a November date month mark with an unreadable year mark, which was either the bayonet's original acceptance date mark or the subsequent conversion date mark ?

Thanks guys. The date on the side with the crown is 11/80. The other side is 11 on one side, 22 on the other.

Welcome aboard RiceMan! Sepoy gave the opener, and LF the basics, and I don't think that they will mind if I add a bit more!

So, the blade from a P.1888 re-used / converted to P.1903 standard. The RIGHT ricasso has the 'WD' mark for War Department property, and as there is no private company maker's mark this also shows that it was a RSAF Enfield product - in fact, below this, between the Indian marks, is the Enfield inspector's mark - 'crown / 45 / E': check the back of the blade above the ricasso and you might find a similar or identical mark there. I am not familiar with Indian-marked bayonets, but I would guess that the '11' and the '22' might be so-called 're-issue' marks, indicating that the bayonet was examined and checked for suitability as to service use in 1911 and 1922.

The LEFT ricasso shows Edward's crown and this has obliterated the original Victoria's crown and initials 'VR' - the Victoria crown mark was usually lightly impressed anyway (well, all of my examples are!), and so easily obliterated when re-marked with Edward's crown, as here. The original date of inspection beneath the '1903' mark looks to be '11 / 89', and so this blade was made November 1889 - the pattern for the P.1888 bayonet was formally introduced in December 1888. The use of the slash mark between month and year is interesting: I have a WILKINSON marked '12 '/92', but have never noticed this on an Enfield bayonet before - I'll have to check mine again.

Hope this is of interest and / or is of help to you - and needless to say if I am wrong on any of the above I'll doubtless soon be corrected!

Trajan

An addition for RiceMan - a new post in case you have already read the earlier one from me!

Just out of general interest, can you show a photograph of the whole thing? Also, those P.1888's converted into P.1903's in GB were stamped 'E.F.D.' on the head of the pommel, just below the opening for the mortise slot (likewise, as I understand it, all newly-made P.1903's also) - is there any sign of such a mark on yours?