Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Digger Dialects: a collection of slang phrases [Australian]

MaureenE

Digger dialects : a collection of slang phrases used by the Australian soldiers on active service by W.H. Downing 1919

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/91206 State Library of Victoria

The British Library World War One website has an entry for this book, but the digital file only contains the first 10 or so pages, not the whole book.

An example: CHAT (n)—A Louse.

CHAT (vb.)—To examine clothing in order to remove lice.

Cheers

Maureen

Thank you!

Although my grandfather returned to England for the rest of his life (after serving in the Australian Army) he always ate Bergoo and taught me to call it that too.

(I always assumed it was Burgoo but now I know better).

BERGOO (n.), (Arab.)—Porridge.
CGM

Thanks Maureeene - I did like 'ABBASSIEH BUKRA—Retribution on the morning after the night before.' Oh, and also 'CAMEL—A small scouting Sopwith aeroplane.'...!!! But, do I detect some bowdlerisms, as in 'KNOCKING-SHOP—An untidy or squalid place.'? :whistle:

! But, do I detect some bowdlerisms, as in 'KNOCKING-SHOP—An untidy or squalid place.'? :whistle:

To some extent yes, however it probably had also had the meaning given, as I have heard the expression “that place/ room looks like a brothel” meaning it’s dirty/untidy etc.

Cheers

Maureen

To some extent yes, however it probably had also had the meaning given, as I have heard the expression “that place/ room looks like a brothel” meaning it’s dirty/untidy etc.

Cheers

Maureen

Raising the question of what the person expressing the statement knows about the interior of a brothel... :whistle:

There are bowdlerism's, not just in the descriptions, but in the actual slang. One or two descriptive (offensive and derogatory) terms, for our English and American kin, are very shallowly changed.

Cheers,

Hendo

Thanks Maureen, now I know what a 'chat' was, I've finally figured out what my grandfather was talking about in 1917!

one dirty bunter put two in his singlet just before inspection - he used to have to have a look every 5 minutes to see poor Chat had not escaped.

post-66620-0-93244200-1436620160_thumb.j