Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonets & blades

Khaki

Many thanks S>S,

I had never thought of an African Hunting Lodge, I can see what you mean, I do have a cape double, but no trophies. When I was a kid my dad had a full leopard skin that I enjoyed wrestling with, shades of 'Allan Quartermain'. Decoratively speaking that would be a fun project.

khaki

A modest offering

khaki

Khaki,

Something tells me that you have your own 'den'? Lucky you - and a nice display there with an interesting and wide-ranging series of items!

Thanks Julian,

Yes, certainly wide ranging, center piece a portrait "Graphic" of KoK flanked by two artillery rammers, below an officers trench cane and brown gloves and a US Patton sword, left and right on white sconces a pair of RN binoculars and a wooden trench periscope. Blades in no particular order include British 88, 03, 07, 1895 Russian socket Nagant , variety of French including a German captured and altered Chassepot also German ersatz blades as well as M1914, 98/05's and a saw back, a few German trench daggers thrown in to balance up the fan display.

regards

khaki

Nice looking display there Khaki, like the mix of bayonets, cant wait til the last of the kids fly the nest so that I can claim some space to display my wee collection :thumbsup:

Aleck

Thanks Aleck,

I have always admired the displays of arms seen in old British stately homes, and whilst I don't have a medieval collection I thought I would try with some Great War material.

regards

khaki

Allways great to see a nice display.

I really like it.

I think the framed portraits are a great contrast to the blades.

Also nicewith the rammers and other item.

I bet it took some time to work out?

I should really get around to do something similar one day.

Currently no free space.

MR

Many thanks MR,

I tried to get an effect that was pleasing to the eye, I found that bayonets because of the variety of shapes and lengths are quite difficult to achieve a balance with, so I had to work with general shapes rather than nationalities etc.

I am glad you liked the result.

khaki

Great looking display! You've motivated me to go work on my collecting room...

-Josh

Can I ask how you attached the bayonets to the wall? Are they mounted on pins/nails or something more cunning?

Whatever you used ins not obvious/intrusive in the picture. Can they be lifted down to examine or are they "fixed"

Great display. I never know what to do with bayonets.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I will try later today to get a close up of how they are attached. Yes they are secure but are easily removable for examination.

regards

khaki

Not photographing too well close up, but in the mean time, they are held in place by nylon hooks that are designed to hold outdoors ornamental lighting. The hooks are slightly modified and as they are a semi transparent material they are not obtrusive, the blade just slides through easily and the hook fits flush up against the guard. Its then just a matter of selecting the desired angle and letting the weight of the blade come to rest behind a small dry wall screw.

I ran out of these hooks about two years ago and have been unable to locate a new source todate, so I have had to reuse what I have a number of times.

khaki

• 3 weeks later...

Great looking display! You've motivated me to go work on my collecting room...

-Josh

I apologize for missing your reply, many thanks, hopefully you can post a photo of your collecting room, I like your sports car avatar, it looks like a 65 Triumph Spitfire?, I had one back in the day, also a Triumph GT6 always wanted to get a 'Stag" but moved into motorcycles instead. A Great War motor cycle would be nice, but a little too late for me now.

khaki

• 5 months later...

Very nice looking display Khaki.

Mick

Gosh Khaki! That is really nice! We really need a bigger flat but we really like the campus area were we are and so I share a large alcove with the two monsters, aka, my sons... I'll post up a photograph one day of the bayonet wall and the bayonet drawers...

Thanks Julian,

I chose this room as a study, at it didn't have a window, had high ceilings and also had a nice alcove for a cabinet, and had plenty of space for a desk an armchair & coffee table. I used to move things around on a regular basis but over the last year I have not been able to do as much, very frustrating.

khaki