Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Mail Surcharge

channelhopper

Hi Everybody

I have just purchased a ww1 victory medal on ebay from a seller in America for £24.00.

I have today received a card advising me of a £12.84 handling charge from Royal Mail.

Has anyone had any experience of this please ? I was not aware that there was import duty/ or tax payable on British war medals coming back into the UK.

I propose to complain, not that I expect that will do any good !

Any Suggestions please ?

Peter

Unfortunately, there is an import charge. And they don't take the argument that it was originally made here and exported...

See this page. http://www.dutycalculator.com/hs-code-duty-rate-import-restrictions/970500/medals/9705.00.0060/9705.00.0090/99/

There's also a handy calculator on this page which works it out for you exactly.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/medals/

Regards

Ian

yep i have been caught out by this 2/3 times just recently! Ii now tend to be very careful about what i buy from abroad {apparently the customs are being far more vigilant about checking parcels this takes place at Mount Pleasant sorting office} books are exempt but photograph albums etc can attract a sizeable surcharge depending upon their declared value!

Channelhopper

E-Bay operate a system whereby the seller can opt to use the Global Shipping Program (GSP) which automatically calculates any custom tax/duty whether it applies or not so that they the seller do not get it imposed on them. The charge of £12.84 from the Royal Mail is likely to be made up of about £8 as a handling fee with the rest as the tax or duty which in this case it is likely to be VAT which is calculated on the cost of the item plus the cost of the postage. Note that E-Bay also earn fees on the postage as well as the cost of the item. A lot of prospective E-Bay buyers from the UK now won't buy from overseas sellers if GSP is being used.

regards

Indefatigable

Medals should only attract a 5% VAT charge - the killer normally is the Royal Mail handling charge.

For high cost items worth an appeal - has worked for me.

Tim

Channelhopper

... A lot of prospective E-Bay buyers from the UK now won't buy from overseas sellers if GSP is being used...

Indefatigable

When GSP was introduced I had an email extolling its virtues. IIRC, as a vendor I could post an item won by an overseas bidder to a UK address, where guaranteed dispatch would be arranged - at a premium. I remember having to opt out of it after it was imposed on me. Since then, I've wondered if some overseas vendors have realised how prohibitive their post & packing costs have become.

Moonraker

• 8 years later...

Just bought a UK Regiment WW1 MM from a Commonwealth country, but Royal Mail want me to pay £74 before I can get it! £60 VAT, £6 import duty and £8 handling fee!

I thought antique items over 100 years old were exempt from VAT? First time I've been charged this much.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Yep I got some stuff shipped from the US - museum to museum transfer and I got done for vat - even though they should be exempt, I had to claim it back and was able to get all of it back minus the handling fee (£15). My car bill was nearer £700 though 

• 2 weeks later...

Good News. Customs refunded me £51 (VAT?) today. They kept £23 - 5% Vat?/import duty & handling charge.

Edited by Ivor Anderson