Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Devil's Porridge Museum

petwes

I had a long drive this week from Cambridge to Scotland on business and took the opportunity to visit the Devil's Porridge Museum at Eastriggs near Gretna. Only a bit out of the way and I thoroughly enjoyed the visit. Although only a small museum I found it very informative with the benefit of some background knowledge but also they are very closely engaged with the local community in terms of supporting local school involvement. The staff were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable (with experience working in the munitions industry) . My main interest was Cordite RDB manufacture because of my RGA research but they also have exhibits covering the Quintishill Rail Disaster. If you are passing or in the area I would recommend a visit as their existence must depend on footfall; particularly out of season.

http://www.devilsporridge.org.uk/

Peter

Peter I will second that, the family and I visited earlier in the year and we really enjoyed the museum and will definitely go again.

post-85138-0-76036000-1436387288_thumb.j

post-85138-0-90105000-1436387307_thumb.j

Cheers Mike.

Wow, this looks a lot different to the museum I visited several years ago. I'll have to have another look when next I watch East Stirlingshire take on Annan Athletic. What also struck me was how "English" a number of buildings in the area seem: Scottish architecture is very distinctive once you cross the border. Obviously they employed architects from the south when the whole complex was under construction.

Edwin

When I went it was in a disused church but the staff said they were having to move because the Church authorties wanted the building back. The new premises look good, must pay another visit.

Cheers Martin B