Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Crowns?

DrB

Hey Pals,

Here is another one for the experts.

I recognize the Victorian crown but always, from my reference books came to believe that a Kings Crown was a Kings Crown. Now I see in another thread that the crowns for George V and George VI were somewhat different.

Could someone kindly explain the difference between to two? They look somewhat the same although I "think"? (guess) that perhaps the Geo V had more of a pinched in bottom and straighter sides and the Geo VI had a longer bottom and more arch to the sides.

Help!

DrB

:huh:

Excellent question, I am also looking for the differences in the kings crowns but did not know who to ask. I never though of asking the guys on this forum.

Great idea and great question Drb.

Tom

I think you are referring to the Earlier version of the Imperial Crown,which has more angular sides,& is seen on some RA & East Surrey Badges,of King Edward VIIs Reign,1902~10,

WW1/WW2 Era DLI & Late Victorian/Edward VII 2VB DLI

The variation in "King's Crown" may be more do do with the Manufacturer 's Artistic Licence that anything,as the Crowns Alter shape quite considerably,between the Reigns

This is a post~1948 RAOC Badge,note the straight sides to Crown

East Surrey Regt,Imperial Crown{late Victorian/Edwardian} & Usual King's Crown:~Edward VII~George VI

Engineer Variants,Note the Leaves Markings on Geo VI R type with large crown?

Artillery K/C Variants,Top Non~Voided Wheel

The British crown has always three arches, on its own or with other devices, was and still is used as a rank insignia. Three crowns have been used during the 20th and 21st century: the Victorian Crown until 1901, the Tudor or Imperial Crown until 1953 and St Edwards Crown during the reign of Queen Elizabeth II.

My main computer is broken at the moment so I cannot insert a picture of the different crowns.

John

And theres more.....This perhaps shows best the variation in design of the Imperial Crown[ie K/C] note the Curved sides of the Top badge[ of Circa 1900~1910 Vintage] & the straighter version,below{which is a WW1 Type}It is the same crown,as noted by Paul,but the Design is different

For good measure an example of the QVC Crown,albiet on a British Legion standard Bearers Badge,As used on Badges of Queen Victoria's Reign,Technically this is the same Crown used on ERII Badges but is more stylised.

And Finally ASC Variants in King's Crown Crown

Mr Harry Betts...I thank you for your input and the answer to my question. I will have to scrutinize my goodies more closely now.

Best regards'

DrB

:)