Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers group photos HQ 2nd QVO Sappers and Miners 1918, 1919

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear GWF enthusiasts,

I possess two named group photographs of S & M officers, taken at HQ (probably Madras), 1918, 1919.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kimberley John Lindsay.

Any chance of posting?

Dear Steven Broomfield,

I tried to attach the officer groups: too large; then just the captions: also too large. Needless to say, I am not computer-literate, and my more-or-less successful GWF posts have been hit-amd-miss, after a lot of trail and error.

The first group is of 31 Officers at Headquarters (probably 2nd Sappers and Miners, Madras) 1918. The CO was Lt-Col C. H. Heycock, RE. Decorated officers were T. C. Thorn, MC; R. B. Woakes, MC; J. Tate, MC; A. E. Collier, MC; A. R. Aitken, MC; W. D. B. Conran, DSO.

The 1919 group of 45 officers, still with Lt-Col Heycock, only gives ranks and names, no initials or decorations.

Anyone who is interested can send me an eMail and I could beam the sepia-photos, etc. thelindsayhouse@web.de

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kimberley John Lindsay.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear GWF enthusiasts,

Actually, I acquired the above-mentioned 2 S&M officer group photos during my, as yet unsuccessful, quest for an image of Lieut William John Davis, IARO attd 2 S&M (and attd RE).

He was briefly with 2nd Sappers and Miners (12-9-1916 to 20-11-1916) and then with the Works Directorate in Mesopotamia, 1916-19. Absurdly, his BWM and Victory medals are impressed 2 Lieut., but he was in fact an A/Capt and was also Mentioned in Despatches twice (LGs 27 Aug 1919 and 21 Feb 1919).

Interestingly, he was militarily involved (as Executive Engineer) in the Malabar uprising, 1921-22. William John Davis was also a Trooper with the S. Prov. Mounted Rifles (Vol LS Medal), and received the Jubilee and Coronation Medals as a P.W.D. engineer. Does anybody know about the Works Directorate? He was also found on a list of Royal Engineers, Indian Establishment.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kimberley John Lindsay

W. J. Davis, BSc.doc

• 3 weeks later...

Dear GWF members,

Here is one of the 2nd QVO S&M Officer group photos, down-sized at last!

Any comments would be more than welcome.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kimberley John Lindsay

2 QVO S&Mpost-122353-0-80931400-1438953118_thumb.

post-122353-0-63814000-1438953293_thumb.