Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"The tragedy of Kut" - Guardian article 2002

seaJane

I am still learning about the Tigris / Kut campaign: would those more expert than me consider this article a fair assessment?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/nov/20/iraq.features11

Thanks!

sJ

That's not helpful! :rolleyes:

I am still learning about the Tigris / Kut campaign: would those more expert than me consider this article a fair assessment?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/nov/20/iraq.features11

Thanks!

sJ

That is much the way that I understand it anyway. Have only recently started reading about it in any detail, thanks to a thread about books on the subject, but the "Guardian" article is much the way I have always heard the story. Since it is a very short synopsis of what happenedm I am sure that it is an over simplification but can't see any glaring errors and it seems to be the gist. Those who have studied the subject may disagree?

Hazel

Morning,

There is an interesting chapter in The Fall of the Ottomans (The Great War in the middle East 1914-1920) Ch 10 - 31 pages by Eugene Rogan, I also have the book Kut 1916 (to read).

My interest is that a relative was with the 86th Royal Garrison Artillery and died of wounds at Kut, I will make a new topic on the 86th later.

I will also read the enclosed article and comment back.

There is a discussion about Major-General Townsend (and his book) in

For further reading, see the FIBIS Fibiwki page Mesopotamia Campaign,

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Mesopotamia_Campaign,for links to many online books and articles.

Includes the Report of the Commission appointed by Act of Parliament to enquire into the Operations of War in Mesopotamia. Together with a separate report by Commander J. Wedgwood and appendices. Presented to Parliament. HMSO 1917. Hathi Trust Digital Library

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks for that Maureen.

Hazel C.

• 1 year later...

Late in the day, but I was looking at coverage of the MC recently and found some interesting coverage in the BMJ at the time and references to and obituaries (BMJ) some years later of some of the key players, e.g.,  Beauchamp Duff  and Robert Markham Carter

Maureen, you may have already picked this up, but on Sunday's Antiques Roadshow there was a feature regarding an officer by the name of Yearsley whose WW1 artefacts had recently been unearthed.  He had been a POW at Kut and subsequently escaped.  You may want to watch this via 'catch-up'.  If you can't, let me know, and I'll have a look for you.

Cheers, Peter.

Thanks for the offer Peter, but I don't think I need to trouble you. I don't think I could access it now , as I'm not in the UK, but Antiques Roadshow is shown on TV here, so I think I will be able see it at some future time.

Cheers

Maureen

• 5 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is interested or can access it, a clip of the Brigadier’s trunk (A prisoner of war’s trunk reveals the ingenuity of people even in the most difficult times) is @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p053fdjc

Edited by TGM

thanks for the link. The owner admitted that she had binned some of the stuff before realising what she had. So many times this happens. At least she saved something.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962