Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Victory medal to 2682 Pte E Green. Seaforth.

charlie962

In my 'box of singles' I have a Victory medal named as above. I've tried searching Ancestry and Discovery NA but find no trace of this name with this number for MICs.

There are at least three other Seaforth soldiers with this number, some prefixed S.

Have I missed something in my search criteria or is there no card. (It is frustrating how even when one knows a record exists one can miss it in a search) Did I read that this would indicate no overseas service?

Some guidance please.

maybe search the rolls themselves rather that the card ?

I cant find either but have been failing miserably of late to find anything

if your man was issued a victory medal then he would have had to serve overseas to qualify for it.

• Admin

thank you all So he is noted on MIC as 7th Bn. My free Ancestry ended today so I'll now have to sign up!.

Russ, how did you manage the jump to find this man? I'm sure I did try the ancestry 'military' rather than just MIC. Or is it just a case of going through every E Green until one finds a link?

Wiithout sources like Ancestry etc I would certainly get nowhere but it still requires a lot of patience and wasted search effort. I wonder when one gives up on Service Records it might just be sometimes one uses the wrong numbers.

• Admin

The medal roll shows he was firstly 2nd Bn with number 2682.

To find him I just entered sea* hig* and green into the respective unit and surname medal roll search fields. There were just 5 E Green's returned as possibles (none with 2682) but a look at these 5 candidates quickly revealed the correct one. In then knowing his first name and later number, the MIC search was easy.

Russ