Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Swords into Ploughshares and Bayonets into Coathooks.

MikeyH

The interesting coat rack pictured graces a friends hallway. It consists of 2 French Gras Model 1874 Bayonets, the quillons on these have been bent at right angles to form coathooks and a further 3 Gras cross guards have been added to provide further hanging capacity, the components have been brazed together. These were sold in the 1920's by the 'Army and Navy Stores', who offered a variety of household items made from all kinds of re-cycled Great War hardware.

My chum is a seasoned militaria collector, he uses Chinese spike bayonets of a much later date to mark out the sections of his vegetable plot!

Anyone else have any examples of 'alternative uses' for bayonets?

Mike.

post-106539-0-44730900-1435835845_thumb.

At a recent militaria fair I saw a fire guard / hearth rail constructed from the Lebel bayonet hilts and blades.

TT

And what's the betting that those two were probably made by the rarest of the Gras makers... :blink:

Seriously though, I had heard that these existed and it is nice to see an actual example!

Trajan

Trajan,

Rarest Gras makers?

No, I did check them out! They are both dated 1878 and from the usual common sources, being brazed they could be taken apart without too much trouble.

Reminds me that I called on someone a few years ago, who had a sign with the name of the property hanging from a 1907 Pattern Bayonet, which seemed to have been driven into the mortar. When I asked he said 'oh, it came with the house'.

Mike.

No, I did check them out! They are both dated 1878 and from the usual common sources, being brazed they could be taken apart without too much trouble.

Well done that man! But, 1878... Waffenfabrik Steyr's?

I'd bet Ursine de Steyr. Much more around than Waffenfabrik.

Either that or L Deny and Paris-Oudry.

For some reason you don't seem to see as many French Arsenal made ones from 1878...

Glad they aren't Alex Coppels though!

Well done that man! But, 1878... Waffenfabrik Steyr's?

Trajan and N. White,

No, St. Etienne 1878.

Mike.

Well, that's a surprise! Thanks for passing on the information though.