Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Vincent Hall (Vin) R.A.F.

Dust Jacket Collector

Here's a most unusual Memorial volume to a WW1 Flying Ace that I bought today. It commemorates the life of Lt. Frederick Vincent Hall of the RAF, known as 'Vin'. Privately printed by his parents, probably in 1919, it consists of his letters from the front & his pilot's log. He served with the 4th, 8th & 10th Naval squadrons & was credited with 7 'Victories' while flying his Sopwith Camel. He was killed in a training collision in May 1918. What is special about it is that the spine & corner pieces are cut from the Flying Jacket he wore throughout the War!

post-35362-0-04028100-1435693944_thumb.j

Very interesting!

Very interesting!

Glad you thought so, Martin. Nobody else seems to have done.

I think it is a good way to bind a book, must be very few copies.

I think it is a good way to bind a book, must be very few copies.

According to an article in the Sunderland Echo in 2008, reporting on an exhibition in which a copy of the book was displayed, only 3 copies were made. This seems unlikely to me as the introduction in the book says it's been compiled for the benefit of friends & family members. I would have thought that suggests at least 30-50 copies as is the case with other similar memorial volumes.

Must all depend on how many flying jackets where left!

Must all depend on how many flying jackets where left!

All made from the 1 jacket apparently. Each book uses about 26 sq. inches of leather so maybe not so many copies after all. Maybe a question for the collectors of flying jackets - how many books can you make from them?

What's the book actually like ... good, bad, etc.?

Only some 30 pages of letters edited by his father, but quite informative about training & engaging with the enemy. He has a brief encounter with von Richtofen & expresses his sadness on hearing of his death. About half the book is his pilots log which details all his exploits. I have about 60 of these Memorial volumes & they're invariably very moving. Vincent is always very upbeat, even with a bullet in his leg, but as these letters were written to his parents you can never be sure how he really felt. His father has slipped into the book an original photo of Vin's grave in France.

Ah ... it sounds very interesting, the kind of book which covers a lot of things, yet is very personal.

Thanks!