Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Two Men of 8/Glosters

Nick Thornicroft

I'm trying to find any background info (place of birth/family, etc.) on the following two men of 8/Glosters:

Pte. Edward Hall (30244, formerly 249 Royal Field Artillery). Enlisted: Caerphilly. KIA 8/6/17. Commemorated on the Menin Gate.

Pte. James Daniels (20464). Enlisted Deptford, Kent. Died 18/4/18. Commemorated at Tyne Cot.

Pte. Daniels may possibly be the same James Daniels, born 1891, & living at 32 Edale Road, St Paul's Deptford, in 1901, with his parents James & Mary. Of course, in such a densely populated area, the individual could have been a resident of Deptford for many years, or simply lodging there when he joined up, having moved there a short while previously from anywhere in the UK.

There are several 'possibles' for Pte. Hall, living in Cardiff, but no one with obvious links to Caerphilly, & he may also have moved to the area from elsewhere, looking for work.

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has researched either of these men in the past, I would be very interested to hear from them.

Many thanks

Nick

• Admin

I'm afraid I don't have any personal details for these two men, but I do know that Edward Hall transferred from the RFA (whilst with the 13 Res Bty in 3a Res Bde) to the 3rd Bn Gloucester Rgt on 24/06/1916. He was one of 100 men who were similarly transferred from the RFA on this date and who were all re-numbered with Gloucester Rgt numbers in the range 30196 to 30295.

Russ

The Register of Soldiers' Effects gave his mother's name as Alice.

He is not named on Caerphilly War Memorial, or apparently on any of those in the surrounding area.

Thank you Harry. That gives me something to work on.

Edward Hall also served in 1/Glosters before transferring to the 8th, so it may indicate a link with the county.

Nick

Edward Hall, 30244, Gloucestershire Regt. was named in a casualty list published in The Times on Wednesday July 11 1917. (Maes-y-Cwmmer) I understand is the place of residence of his next of kin, presumably his mother Alice. Maes-y-Cwmmer is in the Caerphilly area, but does not seem to have a war memorial of its own (at least one that comes up on google)

post-43672-0-98011600-1435662298_thumb.j

Thanks very much Harry. I do not have access to The Times so I'm very grateful for the info. That really narrows down the search.

Nick