Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information Please

MACRAE

:ph34r: Hi guys

I may have asked this before but i will ask again , I have a silver cigarett case presented to

Sgt C M Macrae

11th R.H. B.W

From

Lt Cnl Macrae Gilstrap

of eileandonan

11th R.H. B.W.

4TH April 1917

Would love to know more about Sgt C M Macrae and why he was presented this silver case from none other than the clan chief and btln commander , Any one with any clues as to why :unsure: , Thanks in advance for any clues

dan

Hi Dan,

I have a book which was compiled by Ella MacRae-Gilstrap, who was the wife of John MacRae-Gilstrap and it includes all of the soldiers of the Clan MacRae that fought, survived and died during the Great War. If you can provide me with more details then I can look within the book to see if he is included and whether there is anymore information about him. Does it have his regimental number on it?

Do you have a photo of this cigarette case that you can download onto this website forum?

Finally, my understanding of the Clan MacRae is that there never was a chief of the clan only heads. The memorial to the First World War Clan MacRae soldiers at their ancient burial ground of Clachan Duich, has the word "chief" removed from it. Their faimly tree also shows no signs of "chief" being mentioned on it.

Kind regards

Genevra

Hi Dan,

The 11th Black Watch were a reserve battalion and never served overseas.

In his 'History' Wauchope mentions that its function was to train men for the active service battalions. He adds

In January 1916 it 'became a receiving as well as a despatching depot for all ranks of the New Army battalions, who arrived continuously from sick leave or hospital, relieving in their turn others as they were ordered to proceed overseas.

On the 1st September [1916] the name of the Battalion was changed to the 38th Training Reserve Battalion. From now onwards it ceased to receive British Expeditionary Force personnel, and was engaged entirely in training young recruits for despatch to any of the Scottish regiments'.

However, throughout its existance the personnel who formed the permanent establishment wore Black Watch uniforms.

Unfortunately, I can't add anything on Sergt. MacRae. There's a short list of NCOs - instructors - mentioned, who served throughout the life of the battalion but MacRae is not listed. Nevertheless, my guess is he was one of the instructors.

The Clan Macrae Society were responsible for providing pipes and drums for the band in 1915 - there's a picture of the band and MacRae-Gilstrap in Vol. III of Wauchope's 'History'.

All the best,

Derek

:ph34r: Genevra

I have that very book and there is only 1 C M Macrae in there , The reason he was given this seems to elude me every time i get closer to finding sumit, I have spoken to the gilstraps and they have nothing that tehy are aware of in the family records to say why, Yes the chieftanship is in dispute probally never be resolved , But Macrae Gilstrap is regarded by most as the chief , Okay ref photo of item will do so later when i am feeling a bit better just out of hospital from minor op.

Danny

I have a feeling that this is something to do with the 'Yeoman of the Guard.'

The MacRae family were heavily into this ancient bodyguard role and ceremony.

My hunch is that Sgt MacRae might have had the 'cermonial' rank of Sgt, whereas in reality he was a higher rank.

There's no chance that the name is CW MacRae.....??

post-23-1100733597.jpg

:ph34r: Hi Guys okay hope this works picture attached, What i found in the Macrae Roll of Honour is Sgt Charels Main Macrae s/10897 attested 11th BATT NOV 1915 38th T Res Sept 1916 LATER 51st Grad Batt Gordon Highlanders (Edinburgh) the ONLY C M Macrae attached BW

Danny

post-23-1100782293.jpg

Archived