Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal roll

Guest billysiv

On my Grandfathers medal roll card there are some entries I do not understand.

After the victory medal it says TF which must be Territorial Force then it says RFA/147B Is this a battalion number I always thought that 242 south Midlands became a part of 48th battalion.

Under this for the 1915 star it says RFA/25AYB what could this be? The Y could be a T or even an F.

Also what do the page numbers signify?

I know that the RFA is Royal Field Artillery.

Bill

Hi Bill

I believe I am correct in saying that the RFA147B & RFA/25AYB refer to the roll sheet number ie that is where the actual entitlement is recorded. I am presuming you are using an MIC for this information. Unfortunately artillery medal rolls do not normally specify a battery which is a real pity as there are few other sources apart from personal artifacts to record which battery a man served with. If the man in question died , however, ther eis a chance of a CWGC entry giing a battery.This must be used with caution though as often CWGC recorded the first battery ie at enlistment. The alternative is to acquire his SR which again is a bit of luck as to it still existing.

The TF may refer to Territorial Force Medal for which there was a specified criteria for entitlement, however after a similar confusion earlier this week Ill leave it to another Chum to confirm.

Roop

Thanks Roop

I know he was a driver in the 242 south midland brigade ammunition column and that he was posted to France in oct 1915. He survived the conflict and lived to 92 years of age. When this RFA brigade was transferred to an Army Brigade in 1917 the rest of the brigade were sent to Italy how can I find out where they went. I know they were involved in the bombardment of Vimy Ridge before the Canadians took it as they were then attached to the Canadian Division. What I dont know was where they were sent next. Would they have continued to support the Canadians or have reverted to Army Command and which army.