Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Francis Ledwidge Memorial

mick1234

I have just returned from France and Belgium recently and whilst visiting the Francis Ledwidge Memorial I have noticed that the Irish Tricolour that stood over the Memorial is missing. Does anyone know the reason for its absence. Thanks

Mick

Mick,

Just to say that I don't know !

I passed there (it is in my village) a week or so ago and couldn't help noticing too !

I'll inquire (coming Wednesday).

Aurel

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this one up to see if anyone has an answer !

By the way does anyone know who maintains the francis Ledwidge Memorial ?

Mick

This is a splendid memorial bur personally I cannot see why a flag should be displayed as well. If so then what about all of the other memorials to individuals well known or not so well known scattered throughout the Western Front should they also have a national flag installed. This photo is from an earlier visit and there was no flag then so who was responsible for placing it there?.

4401050186_64c6d3dc10.jpg

Seadog,

This morning I asked a man responsible for that in the IFFMuseum.

It seems it is an "unofficial" initiative.

There are three monuments which get a flag.

Chavasse (Vlamertinge)

Liverpool Scottish (Bellewaarde)

Ledwidge (Boezinge).

He does not put the flags there himself, but asks the Ypres "Technische Dienst" to do that.

But somehow someone did not do what he was asked to do.

In theory the flag(s) should be there 1 April - 15 November.

Aurel

Thanks Aurel so if as you say its an ”unofficial" initiative then I wonder what is the attitude of whatever organization that placed the memorial there in the first place. I am not being critical of the placing of national flags at or near memorials if such flags are officially sanctioned but there should surely be some form of control certainly from those who are responsible for such memorials or can just anyone erect a flag as they feel fit.

Norman

Norman,

I have just been informed by Ypres that coincidentally (yes !, no doubt) the flag was put up again yesterday near the Ledwidge Memorial.

With some delay indeed ...

As to your question, I'm not sure I know the answer.

But maybe "unofficial" was not the right word. The person / office who makes sure there is a flag, works for / is closely connected to the IFFM and Town of Ypres. And I know that this office and the IFFM worked together with the Irish organisation who (co-)erected the Ledwidge Memorial. Or were very closely in touch with them at the time, and still are.

When you write : "there should surely be some form of control certainly from those who are responsible for such memorials or can just anyone erect a flag as they feel fit ?"

Well, I don't think a flag was erected "as they feel it" in this case. Sure Piet Chielens (curator IFFM) knows that there is a flag.

And do you mean : control by the (Irish) organisation that erected the Ledwidge memorial ?

I was in touch with them myself when the Ledwidge memorial was erected. I'll see if I still have the e-mails (I sent photos) and can find an e-mail address. If I do, I'll send it in a PM.

Aurel

Flag back since yesterday.

Aurel

P.S. Edited - The photo as I posted it is wider. Sorry if (as on my screen now) half of the face is cut off.

post-92-0-14665400-1437070697_thumb.jpg

Thanks Aurel and job well done for going to the trouble to find out the reason why the Flag was missing. And nice to see it back again,

Rgds

Mick