Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Enfield BSA 1916 Mk3* De-sporterizing project with questions

Canadian J

just an update on my "rebuild" project: Reminder - this was a "sporterized" rifle like that in the OP

I am still waiting on my magazine and screw for the safety assembly. The rear trigger guard screw is pretty torn up so when I find one of those I will replace it.

Debating on whether to replace the (original) butt with one that matches the rest of the wood better.

Although the revciever and barrel are a 1915 BSA MkIII most of the other components are replacements so although will soon appear original - it will not be. I have included a note to that effect in the butt-trap and under the barrel in the fore-end.

It took quite a time to get the stocking up correct. I hope, once I get the final parts, this will be a rifle I can shoot regularly.

post-14525-0-53735700-1439772793_thumb.j

post-14525-0-88321500-1439772793_thumb.j

Chris

just an update on my "rebuild" project: Reminder - this was a "sporterized" rifle like that in the OP

I am still waiting on my magazine and screw for the safety assembly. The rear trigger guard screw is pretty torn up so when I find one of those I will replace it.

Debating on whether to replace the (original) butt with one that matches the rest of the wood better.

Although the revciever and barrel are a 1915 BSA MkIII most of the other components are replacements so although will soon appear original - it will not be. I have included a note to that effect in the butt-trap and under the barrel in the fore-end.

It took quite a time to get the stocking up correct. I hope, once I get the final parts, this will be a rifle I can shoot regularly.

Chris

Wow Chris! Nice job and the pics are great! If it were me I would keep the buttstock and colour match the rest, I did so with the forend on mine as all my other wood was darker. I personally like the darker look. Your buttstock looks like it has lots of character, very nice! I really like your idea of including notes on your rebuild in the butt trap. Once you mentioned that I thought of maybe printing the schematics page with all the parts listed and marking an "O" for original beside each original part and an "R" for Restored part beside the restored parts on the list. I hope you get a nice shooter out of it, looks like you're almost there! keep posting the pics eh!

- Jordan

• 1 month later...

I have completed it, finally! Below is an image of the finished product. I have sent 40 rounds through it as well (174 grain Remington FMJ) and it shoots approx 1 foot down and 1 foot right at 100 yards. As a precaution, the first 4 rounds we fired were with the rifle ancored amongst sandbags and fishing line around the trigger. I have to do some work on the safety as it activates after every shot fired. It was a very neat experience firing the work horse of the Great War, the rifle that all of those men fired and relied on to keep themselves alive. It is quite heavy, weighing nearly 11 lbs. with 10 in the mag. It is quite front heavy too and that's without a bayonet! Much fun was had restoring it back but I am extra happy my forend fitted well enough that it didn't split when fired! All the best,

- Jpost-102081-0-03925300-1443275831_thumb.

Thank you for your kind words LF. I am excited to see Chris's 1915 with the cutoff, and my fingers are crossed his is more accurate than mine!

- J

I have completed it, finally! Below is an image of the finished product. I have sent 40 rounds through it as well (174 grain Remington FMJ) and it shoots approx 1 foot down and 1 foot right at 100 yards.

You can often find a selection of foresight blades on the Bay. A lower one of those - it's the thickness of the block that varies, the height of the blade is constant - levered over to the right ought to fix it.

Regards,

MikB

Wow Chris! Nice job and the pics are great! If it were me I would keep the buttstock and colour match the rest, I did so with the forend on mine as all my other wood was darker. I personally like the darker look. Your buttstock looks like it has lots of character, very nice! I really like your idea of including notes on your rebuild in the butt trap. Once you mentioned that I thought of maybe printing the schematics page with all the parts listed and marking an "O" for original beside each original part and an "R" for Restored part beside the restored parts on the list. I hope you get a nice shooter out of it, looks like you're almost there! keep posting the pics eh!

- Jordan

I totally agree with the above,

Both great rifles, well done you guys for rescuing them.

:thumbsup: khaki

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I thought this might be of interest considering your projects. I made this up some years ago as I tend to lose/drop small parts and screws.

I don't know what you would call it but it's about four feet long and has a full length trough at the bottom, the key screw parts are marked and I fitted a strong 'ring magnet' to the relevant site on the drawing, so I locate and can relocate the screw etc exactly where it belongs. I am no artist but it is a representation of a No.1 Mk3 .

khaki

post-29707-0-73579500-1443352731_thumb.j

post-29707-0-94649600-1443352768_thumb.j

You may laugh now :w00t:

khaki

I like it! I don't have the space for something like that - but I do have a magentized steel tray that I use for the same reason when disassembling Enfields!

Chris

PS Still haven't finished mine - I have been working on a restoration of a much older weapon (1849 Colt) for a friend.

Both great rifles, well done you guys for rescuing them.

khaki,

Yes, both Chris' and Jordan's rifle restorations are excellent and so nice to see these old WW1 workhorses restored.

Regards,

LF

Thanks for your comments as well Khaki, I really like your idea for saving screws, they're not normal cheap screws that you can afford to lose! A lost screw could mean 10 bucks and a 4 week wait! All the best eh!

- Jordan