Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another hard to link casualty

museumtom

OK Guys and gals, this lad is frying my head. It’s a strong possibility that the soldier mentioned in these snippets is Charles Ferris below, but try as I might I cannot find the link. He is not in Irish Wills, FMP, or any newspapers other than the Anglo Celt. Can you offer any help pretty please? Any pointers would be most helpful indeed and I would be ever so grateful to you for it.

Kind regards.

Tom.

The Anglo-Celt. 27/03/1915. 0127. Arva Men Killed. The sad news has been received in Arva of the death and wounding of natives at the front. Charles Ferris, and James Whyte are reported as killed; John Rorke and Thomas Davis wounded; Patrick Brady of Arva (who resided in Glasgow) wounded; John Travers missing since the early months of the war, Much sympathy is felt for their bereaved friends.

The Anglo-Celt. 27/03/1915. 0126. Other Cavan Men Killed. Private P Flynn, D Company, 2nd Battalion, R.I. Fusiliers, writes us from France that on Sunday week the following comrades were killed;-Cunningham, 4th Battalion, R.I. Fusiliers; Bob Donohoe, Cavan; T Magobern, Ballyjamesduff, wounded; Sergeant Ferris, Arva, killed;-Slater, killed; Laverty, killed; one Kilnaleck man killed and one wounded.

The Anglo-Celt. 10/02/1917. 1797. Arva Certificates of Honour. There was a crowded attendance in the Temeprance Hall, Arva, for the presentation of Certificates of Honour….amongst those present were…. Mrs Ferris (husband killed in action).

The Anglo-Celt. 18/09/1915. 4352. Police Cases, Bridget Ferris, Arva, who is receiving separation allowance was fined 5s for drunkenness.

Charles Ferris, Lance Corporal, Irish Guards, 1st Battalion, 2416, 25/10/1914, Born in Wexford, enlisted in Dublin. Residence not given. No extra information in the CWGC on NOK. Killed in action. Panel 11. Ypres ( Menin Gate ) Memorial in Belgium.

OK Guys and gals, this lad is frying my head. It’s a strong possibility that the soldier mentioned in these snippets is Charles Ferris below, but try as I might I cannot find the link. He is not in Irish Wills, FMP, or any newspapers other than the Anglo Celt. Can you offer any help pretty please? Any pointers would be most helpful indeed and I would be ever so grateful to you for it.

Kind regards.

Tom.

The Anglo-Celt. 27/03/1915. 0127. Arva Men Killed. The sad news has been received in Arva of the death and wounding of natives at the front. Charles Ferris, and James Whyte are reported as killed; John Rorke and Thomas Davis wounded; Patrick Brady of Arva (who resided in Glasgow) wounded; John Travers missing since the early months of the war, Much sympathy is felt for their bereaved friends.

The Anglo-Celt. 27/03/1915. 0126. Other Cavan Men Killed. Private P Flynn, D Company, 2nd Battalion, R.I. Fusiliers, writes us from France that on Sunday week the following comrades were killed;-Cunningham, 4th Battalion, R.I. Fusiliers; Bob Donohoe, Cavan; T Magobern, Ballyjamesduff, wounded; Sergeant Ferris, Arva, killed;-Slater, killed; Laverty, killed; one Kilnaleck man killed and one wounded.

The Anglo-Celt. 10/02/1917. 1797. Arva Certificates of Honour. There was a crowded attendance in the Temeprance Hall, Arva, for the presentation of Certificates of Honour….amongst those present were…. Mrs Ferris (husband killed in action).

The Anglo-Celt. 18/09/1915. 4352. Police Cases, Bridget Ferris, Arva, who is receiving separation allowance was fined 5s for drunkenness.

Charles Ferris, Lance Corporal, Irish Guards, 1st Battalion, 2416, 25/10/1914, Born in Wexford, enlisted in Dublin. Residence not given. No extra information in the CWGC on NOK. Killed in action. Panel 11. Ypres ( Menin Gate ) Memorial in Belgium.

I can only see the same man. Late reported death as soldiers effects notes death was presumed so official notification would not be made straight away.

Name: Charles Ferris

Death Date: 25 Oct 1914

Regiment: Irish Guards

Regimental Number: 2416

Soldiers effects adds that his widow was Florence.

Craig

All I can find in Soldiers' Effects is a mention of "Wid. Florence" and "no children".

Edit: Craig beat me to it!

Thank you Craig and Verrico, why oh why could I not associate it with an error in spelling/. After your excellent help I see I already had him and he is also mentioned in the Belfast News Letter as well.

Thank you most kindly Verrico and Craig. I could have been chasing my tail for a long long time, but with your lateral thinking the problem is now solved.

Thank you very very much.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Thank you Craig and Verrico, why oh why could I not associate it with an error in spelling/. After your excellent help I see I already had him and he is also mentioned in the Belfast News Letter as well.

Thank you most kindly Verrico and Craig. I could have been chasing my tail for a long long time, but with your lateral thinking the problem is now solved.

Thank you very very much.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Easy done Tom, you spend ages looking and then as soon as you give up and ask for help they turn up. Happens to me plenty.

Craig

Thanks Craig, he was the last oddball that had to be sorted, it has never failed me to ask the pals and you/ye always have a fresh eye and a new path that leads to the mystery being solved.

Thanks again Craig and Verrico, with a bit of luck I will never need your help again....yeah right!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Thanks Craig, he was the last oddball that had to be sorted, it has never failed me to ask the pals and you/ye always have a fresh eye and a new path that leads to the mystery being solved.

Thanks again Craig and Verrico, with a bit of luck I will never need your help again....yeah right!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Next time make it a bit more of a challenge :whistle:

Craig

I'll give it my best shot, I only get you guys to sort out the hardest of the hard, sure its what ye do best!