The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Harry Harvey Turton served in WW1 poss inhte 19th or 21st London Regim

pansypetal

Hi

I am trying to find some details of my Great Grandfathers Army service, but I only have a few details that have been given to me by an elderly relative and so far can't find any recorsd or details.

His name was Harry Harvey Turton born in 1886 in Camberwell Surrey. Died 21 Dec 1936 in Battersea, London cause of death thrombosis

I have been told that he served in WW1, he served in the Hampshire area but didn't leave the UK or see active service, he was sometihng to do with working in hte 'stores'. He eveidnelty had a problem with his foot so couldn't march proprly or be able to walk in the trenches. It is thought he could possibly have served in hte 19th or 21st London Regiments. These details have been givento me by his Granddaughter who rmembers her mother going to the BRitish Legion Christmas dinners because of her fathers service.

Would be very grateful if anybody could suggest where to look to try and locate any details regarding to his time served inthe army.

Many thanks

Heather

The London Regiment was a TF regiment. A lot of battalions served overseas. Do you have any idea where he spent the war years?

thanks Johnboy

he served in the Hampshire area but didn't leave the UK or see active service. He actually used to go and get his meals from a relative, so was always known to have been in this Country during the war.

If he served only in the UK then very few records would be available, usually only a service record (if it survives) - on this occasion I can't see any obvious surviving service records.

Craig

If you look through you may find a battalion that served or was in Hampshire. Not sure you will find battalions as you numbered them.

This is the link to the Long Long Trail page. LLT is clickable from top left of this page.

http://www.1914-1918.net/london.htm

f you know where he lived maybe a check of the Absent Voters List for the area might give his unit. But need to know his home of record during WW1. Good luck.