Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British role in Lithuania

Guest Ancestry

Guest Ancestry

I have a very perplexing situation arise with my ancestry. I need to know if the British deployed to Lithuania at all or in some round about way? Here's why:

Yesterday I received my DNA test results and to my astonishment it was revealed that I have 25% British ancestry. The problem is I know of no one from either side of my family to have British Ancestry. Except! My father was born in Lithuanian in May of 1919. His mother's husband was a POW in Russia and could not have conceived my father (Conception had to be August of 1918). So there is a biological entity unaccounted for and that leads me to believe, based on my DNA results, that this unknown person is of British decent.

Does anyone have any information if the British were deployed in Lithuania? Or maybe some other connection of the British being in the area around August 1918?

Thanks ahead of time for your responses, they are of great importance to me.

The Germans did use British POWs as labor troops in the East. This is mentioned in the book "Black Bread and barbed Wire. There were also people of British ancestry living in the Russian Empire pre WW I. Tudors, governesses, servants. businessmen ect I think the 1914 St Petersberg British community may have had something like 5000+ people in it. There were also a number of British military personal in Russia during WWI. I hope this of some use.

I should also point out there were in Russia pre WW I many people of foreign ancestry. If you look at the names of officers

The Germans did use British POWs as labor troops in the East. This is mentioned in the book "Black Bread and barbed Wire. There were also people of British ancestry living in the Russian Empire pre WW I. Tudors, governesses, servants. businessmen ect I think the 1914 St Petersberg British community may have had something like 5000+ people in it. There were also a number of British military personal in Russia during WWI. I hope this of some use.

I should also point out there were in Russia pre WW I many people of foreign ancestry. If you look at the names of officers you will find more than a few with German, French even English names

• 2 weeks later...

I have a very perplexing situation arise with my ancestry. I need to know if the British deployed to Lithuania at all or in some round about way? Here's why:

Yesterday I received my DNA test results and to my astonishment it was revealed that I have 25% British ancestry. The problem is I know of no one from either side of my family to have British Ancestry. Except! My father was born in Lithuanian in May of 1919. His mother's husband was a POW in Russia and could not have conceived my father (Conception had to be August of 1918). So there is a biological entity unaccounted for and that leads me to believe, based on my DNA results, that this unknown person is of British decent.

Does anyone have any information if the British were deployed in Lithuania? Or maybe some other connection of the British being in the area around August 1918?

Thanks ahead of time for your responses, they are of great importance to me.

You now can look at Y chromosome DNA and find out who exactly it was. NPE (Non paternal event). Your Father's Father would have a UK surname? See who the closest matches are on your DNA with British surnames. Sekmes! Iki!

There was a small British Military Mission which operated in the Baltic States in 1919.

More than a few RN served ashore there at the same time as well.

In August 1918, Lithuania was firmly in German hands, no British there apart from some few POWs sent there to revenge German POWs sent far away by the allies to work. I doubt these POWs could have much contact with locals though?

You'd be surprised. Rural working parties presented opportunities for dalliance.

Harry

Ancestry, I don't want to be a spoilsport, but are you sure that the DNA test results you have are accurate enough to prove that you had one grandparent (identity unknown) who was genetically British rather than of some other European nationality?

If it is credible that this DNA test can distinguish 'British' from, say, 'Dutch' or 'Danish', can it also distinguish between 'English', 'Welsh', 'Scottish' and 'Irish'?

Ancestry, I don't want to be a spoilsport, but are you sure that the DNA test results you have are accurate enough to prove that you had one grandparent (identity unknown) who was genetically British rather than of some other European nationality?

If it is credible that this DNA test can distinguish 'British' from, say, 'Dutch' or 'Danish', can it also distinguish between 'English', 'Welsh', 'Scottish' and 'Irish'?

Depends on the company. Specific markers (can) show Irish (several regions), Scots (ditto) Welsh (I am no expert on Welsh DNA) and Anglo Saxon. Issues arise when trying to separate Anglo Saxon from Viking or Jute. My guess is the paternal Grandad may have been of UK ancestry so perhaps generations before?

Guest Ancestry

Thanks for all of the great replies.

The DNA test I took was through ancestry. I then exported the raw data to family DNA which gave me the same results for my British ancestry. Today I bought the 23andme test which I'm hoping will add more validity to my test results.

KGB do you know which provider does the Y chromosome test you spoke of earlier?

Thanks for all of the great replies.

The DNA test I took was through ancestry. I then exported the raw data to family DNA which gave me the same results for my British ancestry. Today I bought the 23andme test which I'm hoping will add more validity to my test results.

KGB do you know which provider does the Y chromosome test you spoke of earlier?

Labas rytas, Will send you a DM

• 6 months later...

There have been Scottish communities living in Lithuania for many years - since the 1600s - they were merchants trading with the ports such as Klaipeda and all the way up the river to Kaunas, and towns such as Kedainiai.

Also there were Scottish mercenaries hired by the Swedish Army in the 30 years war.

(and there were French troops left behind by Napoleon's retreat in 1812).

Also I am not sure what is meant by British DNA - Great Britain was a melting pot - so maybe this refers to Nordic DNA as there the Vikings (Rus) in Lithuania and Belarus.