Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 Lt J Symon

Ivor Lee

One of my areas of research is the town of Keith, Banffshire during WW1. Reading the local newspaper this week I came across the following regarding 2 Lt J Symon (2nd Bn Yorkshire Regt) who was kia on 5 January 1918 (date confirmed by both the CWGC and Officers Died).

In the Banffshire Herald there is an announcement of his death which reads:

"Symons - Killed in Action in France 5th inst Sec Lt John Symons Yorkshire Regiment...."

Inside the paper is an account of 2 Lt Symon outlining his army career before his commission, the fact that his parents had received a letter from him dated 3 January and confirming the date of his death.

What intrigues me is that this copy of the Banffshire Herald is dated 5th January 1918!

Can anyone suggest how the news of a man's death in action in France could be received the same day in North East Scotland? Was it common for Army telegrams to be sent as quickly as this?

Ivor - it is far from unusual for officer's service record files to contain copies of the War Office telegrams notifying death to the next of kin, so that would be a good place to start. - 5/1/18 was a relatively "quiet" day and if the wire traffic back from F&F wasnt too cluttered it is conceivable that the news could have reached home in time for publication in a newspaper which went to press late in the day.

I dont think I've ever seen a "same date" telegram, but I've certainly seen telegrams dated the day after an officer was killed - for example, WA Grattan-Bellew dow 24/3/17, WO telegram to father 25/3/17 - IH Garvey dow 20/2/17, WO telegram to father 21/2/17, etc. It would also be worthwhile checking the Battalion war diary to see if it is specific about how / when Symon died - it may have been the night of the 4th-5th and the 5th was actually the "reporting date". Regards Tom