Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC/RAF - Request

ajt55

Hi all,

I recently was given a WW1 Propeller from a crash site in 1918, in Kent. It has engraved on it 'La Rhone 50HP, H.A Crook 1918. Crashed Kent,'

I have found some documents on the National Archives and to him, but don;t have a clue what they mean!

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew

This appears to be Hugh Alexander Crook, born 8 2 1897. Served with the Royal Engineers in France as a draughtsman in the railways section. Transferred to the RFC 5 1 1918, as a Sgt (Cadet), thence to RAF 1 4 1918 same rank.

Became a 2nd/Lt on 31 1 1919.

These service records are available on FindMyPast, and they have a free trial period, I believe.

Mark

Thanks Mark!

Are there any other ways i can find out about him or more in detail? Or about the crash? Does the Term '10CW' in Unit, mean anything to you?

Andrew

Andrew

It is 1 OCW rather than 10CW.

OCW = Officer Cadet Wing

No:1 OCW was part of the Cadet Brigade based at Shorncliffe.

See Item 41 here for further details:

http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/showthread.php?11732-FIRST-WORLD-WAR-RFC-RAF-Schools

Dave

Andrew,

I did conduct a search on rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk , but found no record for the crash in Hugh's name. I haven't tried any other parameters but it may well be worth trying others, and even contacting the museum.

Mark

Andrew

Given that he survived the crash it may have be only a 'minor prang' rather than a major crash - hence the shortage of information about it.

Dave