Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C E English DCM 4th Middlesex Regiment

SAS

Hi all

A DCM group turned up following a death in a Friends family and we need your help please with answering some unexplained questions.

I am trying to build the final piece of this puzzle I need to find out why he got his DCM in 1919 and how he got it and that it was for actions at the first days battle at Mons as I think he was captured on that day. Was he the mystery figure on the roof that fired and covered the escape of his colleagues and assumed to have been killed.

I suspect that as he was in D Company 4th Middlesex and all officers were either killed or captured that he only had the actions of the day reported when the Officer was repatriated after the war.

I have tried the NAM - no luck here! war diaries - none written by D Company at National archives that I can find.

Gazette - no details other than dates.

List of Middlesex DCM citations - nothing but dates no citation.

History of Middlesex regiment - no details

He was captured on the first day and was sent back in 1918 with TB.

if he was captured 1914 then he got the DCM after his release from being a POW - maybe it was earnt whilst a POW ?

Sorry. Worth a try.

If it helps, I looked up 5 or 6 of the other men listed in the LG alongside English, and all of them were also prisoners.

I recall an article in OMRS jurnal I think many yrs back about a Pte in RAMC I think who recd a DCM for his work among his fellow POWs during an epidemic of some kind, typhus maybe?

Odds are the DCM in this discussion is also for POW service. Doubtful about him being the man on the roof of the train station fighting the rear guard action as all I've ever read says his name was lost to history. Seems any who did know who he was were killed so his deed went un-rewarded. Had it ben this man I'm sure there would've been a lot of publicity about the award & him coming home, in the Regtl journla or magazine at least & his hometown paper. A good medal in any case for a MONS POW!!

and Im sure most 1920 DCMS and MMs where POW related

There appears to be a unique reference against each name on the register at the National Archives. I don't know what it means though, but presumably some kind of fuller record, or originating source.

post-113776-0-06114000-1434717299_thumb.

Regards

Chris

If you click back through the pages on the Gazette site it notes that "undermentioned rewards in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the Field," as opposed to services as a POW. They were among the very few DCMs for which some sort of citation was NOT published, for whatever reason. The award is for Mons, in my opinion.

His page:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31759/supplement/1220

Narrative page:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31759/supplement/1220

Steve.

Thanks everyone - still trying to find out how and where he got it - would it be in the May diary for the 4th Middlesex.

If I go to Kew do you think I might find the answer?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. The War diary for the 4th Middlesex is online at the National Archives and is available to download at a cost of £3.50 per part, so a visit to Kew is not necessary. I have searched through the War diary from the start(August 1914) through to June 1915 but can find no mention of English. I am a collector and researcher of Gallantry awards to the Middlesex Regiment but have no information on English. If you can let me have his date of death and I will search for a obituary in the Die-Hards Newsletter which sometimes show up additional information not recorded elsewhere. Could you also let me know what the group consists of and if there any photos of English as I am always keen to obtain them for my records. regards Paul

Hi there. Managed to locate his death in 1925 and have located an obituary for him in the Die-Hards journal dated February 1926 which unfortunately does not shed any light on his DCM award but does give some background which may be of interest to the family.

The late Sergt Cecil Edward English DCM

Sergt Cecil Edward English DCM died at the Middlesex County Hospital, Isleworth on December 8th 1925 aged 38 years.

The late Sergt Cecil Edward English was born in the Middlesex Regiment, his father being the Late RQMS English. He was educated at the Duke of York's Royal Military School, from which he enlisted on March 23rd 1901.

He served during the South african War with the 3rd Battalion at St Helena, and was awarded the Queen's South Africa Medal.

In the Great War he was captured at Mons and was not repatriated until July 2nd, 1918. He was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, by London Gazette dated January 30th, 1920. He also possessed the 1914 star, British War and Victory Medals.

The funeral took place on December 12th and the body was interred at Heston Cemetery.

I am still trying to find the citation for the DCM and will let you know if I am successful.

regards

Paul

Really Excellent Paul

I have some pictures of the medals - mounted incorrectly and his fathers medals too. If you send me your e mail I will send you the pictures.

Paul

Do you know what these references are next to the LG citation and do you think that there might be an entry for a regimental diary for May 1919 when he got the award even though it only went to the Gazette in 1920

Hi there

My Email address is brucass@aol.com.

The reference next to the LG entry are the reference number for Army Orders where they are also published.

I have spoken to a few other people and it would appear that for this particular LG entry was for POW activities however they feel that no further details will be found. I am awaiting other responses so will let you know.

Can I ask, are they still in the English family, I only ask because when checking for his date of death I found an entry for Probate in which it says that his estate was left to a Mrs Jane Hayes(wife of William Hayes).

regards

Paul

I think his award was 1919 as I suspect an officer was released and reported his bravery at Mons - he was D company and all the officers were killed or captured as they tried to stop 3 battalions of Germans crossing the river.

My father has suggested it will be detailed in his army records which should be at Kew - would anyone know if this is correct? Are the records held here?

Is it possible to get hold of the army orders at Kew that relate to the reference.

I think his award was 1919 as I suspect an officer was released and reported his bravery at Mons - he was D company and all the officers were killed or captured as they tried to stop 3 battalions of Germans crossing the river.

My father has suggested it will be detailed in his army records which should be at Kew - would anyone know if this is correct? Are the records held here?

Is it possible to get hold of the army orders at Kew that relate to the reference.

Service records records at Kew are also available on Ancestry and Find My Past - 60% of the records were destroyed in a WW2 bombing raid.

It doesn't appear that service records exists for him unless he served after the war, in which the MOD may still hold the record.

Do you know his date of birth ?

Craig

Hi

Unfortunately no Die-hards journals issued during wartime, commenced in !921.

The Army orders I believe are held at Kew however they will only show the same as the LG

Looking forward to the photos of the medals.

regards

Paul