Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The French Army And The First World War

trenchtrotter

If I can just point out another source on the French army in English: Anthony Clayton's "Paths of glory: The French Army 1914-18"

MM.

If I can just point out another source on the French army in English: Anthony Clayton's "Paths of glory: The French Army 1914-18"

MM.

Which I've just read and has given me a much better appreciation of the principal role they played. good notes on the main french generals and lots of detail on the morale issues

Despite any particular errors there is no doubt that overall the book in question is quite the best on the French Army I have read. certainly the best currently available. It is wide ranging, clear and well written and properly edited and proof read - now there's a novelty!

• 7 months later...

Hi

I have read "The French Army and the First World War" now twice and have to say it is very good. It is very solid material and if it wasn't so well written and presented it would be a real challenge. It makes you appreciate the depth and scale of French operations generally and alongside the British Army for example around Ypres in August to October 1917. I also have "Paths of Glory..." which is very good too but Greenhalgh's book ranges more widely and deeply at the same time. Thoroughly recommended.

James

I've only just noticed this comment on the topic.

"Anyway, you're certainly entitled to view history as you wish."

How true, but to often, not in my experience in responding to some on the Forum your.

You know who you are!!