Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lloyd's War Losses, 1st WW, casualties to shipping

Guest Pete Wood

I am thinking of purchasing this book.

LLOYD'S WAR LOSSES, The First World War. casualties to shipping through enemy causes 1914-1918

Book Description: Lloyd's of London Press, 1990. 30x21cm. over 400 pages a facsimile reprint of the original manuscript war loss register, with printed index.

What I would like is a book that lists every merchant ship that was sunk due to enemy action or consequence (torpedo, mine, shelled etc).

Does this book meet my needs...??

If you own a copy, is it possible to scan an example of what the book contains please?

I have found one copy for sale on abebooks, but it is quite pricey and I'd like to know what I am getting before I reach for the folding stuff.

Thanks

Pete

I suggest you get a copy of "British Vessels Lost at Sea 1914-1918 & 1939-1945" published by Patrick Stephens Ltd (Haynes) in 1988.

This is a hardback facsimile reprint of HMSO's official listings of all British losses in both wars - both naval and merchant inc fishing fleets. It also includes those attacked and not lost.

It generally gives the name, tonnage, date, location (often the actual compass points at sea), cause of sinking & how attacked and casualties (merchant only). There are also many statistical pages.

It only includes British vessels.

Price new was £14.95 ISBN 1-85260-134-5

May be a cheaper option. I don't know the Lloyds work.

Hello

I do have a set of these. They are very useful within their context.

A sample entry for the WW I book.

Jan 6. HUDWORTH Br. 3966 BRT S (submarine) 35-31N, 16-24E

Karachi for Hull. carrying barley and seed.

Sections

British, Allied, and Neutral Merchant Vessels destroyed by submarines, mines, cruisers, or aircraft to Nov 11, 1918.

British, Allied, and Neutral Merchant Vessels damaged by submarines........

British, Allied, and Neutral mercchant vessels sunk during bombardment.......

ditto damaged during bombardment.....

Unclassified war casualties.

British vessels detained in German ports on outbreak

British vessels captured by Germans on Occupation of Belgium

British vessels detained in Austrian and Turkish ports.

British vessels captured by enemy.

If you have any immediate specific queries I am perfectly willing to help you along until you can obtain a copy.

don

Pete,

I have to agree with Don, "Lloyd's War Losses" is exceptionally useful, especially for the non-British ships sunk or damaged. I would also agree that it's rather pricey, so if all you care about is British vessels, it's hard to justify (i.e stick to BVLAS and A.J. Tennent's "British Merchant Ships sunk by U-boat in the 1914-1918 War.")

Best wishes,

Michael