Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

light infantry edged weapons

clivefarmer

In the War Diary of the KRRC 11th Battalion there is an Appendix reporting an offensive operation in December 1915 which uses the terms 'sword bayonet ' 'swordsmen' and 'killing ...with the sword'. I know that in Napoleonic times riflemen had a sword which could be fixed to their Baker Rifles and used as a bayonet but I had assumed that by 1914 all infantry used a conventional bayonet . Can anyone explain please?

Incidentally this war diary is very unusual in that every casualty is noted by name and service number , not just officers .

Clive Farmer .

The Light Infantry refer to the bayonet as a sword . IIRC the nomenclature for the bayonet for the SMLE. Is a Sword Bayonet it being about 17" long at the blade. No doubt somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

John

I think it was Rifle regiments (KRRC, RB, Gurkhas and their Great War spin offs) that use the term sword for the bayonet. Ceremonially, they never fix swords. The Rifle regiments were "light" but they were not Light Infantry.

The history of the 12th and 13th DLI is called "With Bayonets Fixed" incidentally, so that might be a clue !

KRRC and RB, not Light Infantry regiments, always referred to their bayonets as a "sword" after the sword bayonet issued with the Baker Rifle in the early 19th century. Both regiments "fixed swords" not bayonets.

Thanks to all those who explained the terminology

Clive

Bayonets such as the P1907 were often referred to as "sword bayonets" simply due to their length. As opposed to the term "sword" used by the KRRC and Rifle Brigade for the reason above.

Bayonets such as the P1907 were often referred to as "sword bayonets" simply due to their length. As opposed to the term "sword" used by the KRRC and Rifle Brigade for the reason above.

In fact the official designation of the P1907 Bayonet when introduced by LoC para 14170 (30th Jan 1908) was "Sword Bayonet, Pattern 1907(Mark I)"

The earlier P1888 (much shorter of course with a 12" blade) was also officially called a Sword Bayonet (LoC para 5877 20th June 1888), as was the 1903 Pattern (LoC para 11716 19th Dec 1902)

so I believe it was more the blade design rather than just length and the reference was to distinguish them from the various earlier patterns of "Socket Bayonet"

Chris

In fact the official designation of the P1907 Bayonet when introduced by LoC para 14170 (30th Jan 1908) was "Sword Bayonet, Pattern 1907(Mark I)"

The earlier P1888 (much shorter of course with a 12" blade) was also officially called a Sword Bayonet (LoC para 5877 20th June 1888), as was the 1903 Pattern (LoC para 11716 19th Dec 1902)

so I believe it was more the blade design rather than just length and the reference was to distinguish them from the various earlier patterns of "Socket Bayonet"

Chris

A good point.