Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering the Battle of the Ancre

michaeldr

Remembering today all who fought in The Battle of the Ancre

Two heroes to represent the many;

“The most touching story I heard was that of Surgeon Gow, Medical Officer to the Anson Battalion. This officer worked unceasingly in a manner worthy of his high calling and, when mortally wounded, he called for paper and died writing a tribute to the heroism and devotion of his stretcher bearers. It is a pity that since there was no one who mattered to witness his great work, no official recognition could have been given; and yet, what decorations could have added to our remembrance of him or the many who died so worthily.

As officer after officer ‘went under’ the non-commissioned officers left standing carried on in a manner beyond all praise. When I instance the case of Petty Officer Wilson of the Nelson Battalion who, after his officer had been laid low, led what remained of his platoon forward to its objective, and, observing his Battalion Commander fall before the redoubt already referred to, advanced against the strong-point and fought till not a soul remained alive. I do but record an isolated instance of many similar acts of outstanding gallantry of which no official mention was made.”

[from ‘The War to End War’ by Thomas Macmillan, housed at the Dept. of Documents, IWM and reproduced, by permission of Mr Ian Macmillan, in Len Sellers’ magazine ‘RND’ issue No.12, March 2000

photograph of Surgeon C. H. Gow from the IWM, ref Q 14738]

post-4-1100330498.jpg

Also my great-uncle Private Cyril Evans, 10th Battalion the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, who was killed during the battalion's attack on Serre on 13th November 1916. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, and is the reason for my original interest in the Great War.

post-4-1100336339.jpg

Michael makes a good point in urging to remember all those unrecorded and unwitnessed acts of heroism and sacrifice that were never "rewarded" with medals or citations. Of course, they were rewarded in the hearts of those who were directly involved. What greater reward that the heartfelt thanks of a comrade or former enemy succoured.

Equally, a large number of decorations were not earned but"harvested" by the undeserving. Much better a barer breast and the certain knowledge of your worth existing in the hearts and minds of your comrades, brave men themselves.

Also remembering my great uncle, 25109 Pte.Alfred Tattersall, 1st Kings Liverpool, who fell this day during the Battle of the Ancre. The inscription on his grave reads, ' Peace Perfect Peace.'

Bill