The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Order of Battle (ORBAT)

CGM

I have requested some help with tracking down any ORBAT which exist for the Non Combatant Corps but for anyone who does not look at NCC threads I am repeating my request here.

I am also hoping that someone can tell me or show me an example of the headings at the top of each column on a page of an ORBAT.

Thank you if you can help.

CGM

Edit: THIS is my original thread.

Hello CGM

I am a little puzzled by your references to "headings at the top of each column" of an ORBAT, as there usually aren't any columns.

In simple terms, an ORBAT is a listing of all the formations and units in a command or a theatre of operations, so that each larger grouping such as a division has listed under it all the units it contains - infantry brigades (each with their constituent battalions), artillery, engineers, supply and medical troops and other small miscellaneous units. If the ORBAT is for a large command such as the British forces in France, it runs to several pages and there is usually an index, which may be in tabular form, listing all units by type and giving the higher formation to which they belong at the time the ORBAT is issued.

I hope that this helps.

Ron

Thank you very much for your reply Ron. Much appreciated.

As I suspect you are aware there is little information about the NCC (e.g. I think no war diaries were kept...?) however, I have seen THIS PAGE but I can't read the column headings.

Would this be an index, such as you describe above?

CGM

Yes, I think so.

I suggest that you send a PM to themonsstar, who posted the original scanned picture, and ask him what the column headings are. I can't make them out either!

Ron

The original appears to come from either the army strenght returns (WO114) or the distribution of the army: monthly returns (WO 73) at the National Archives. The first column lists the companies, the next its HQ. The next two (blurred) give dates. I would hazard a guess that it is to do with when they were raised, etc; followed by the number of effectives on the strenght and the last column appears blurred.

Bootneck

Thank you very much Ron and Bootneck. I am out of my depth here and you have both been very helpful, with some very useful follow-up ideas.

CGM

Hi CGM

If you PM me with your E-mail I will send you the Army Strenght Returns for the NCC 1916-1919

Cheers Roy