Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private John Alexander Macdonald, Black Watch

DoubleD

One of the last handful of names I am researching for a Roll of Honour for the Perth Academy War Memorial.

266719, Private John Alexander Macdonald, 1st Black Watch. Killed in action, 24th October 1918. Son of John and Mary Macdonald, Balledmund Farm, Ballinluig, Perthshire. Buried in La Vallee-Mulatre Communal Cemetery Extension. Ref: A. 17. He is also commemorated on the Dowally Parish Church War Memorial, age stated as 31.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

He originally enlisted at Perth but his number is a territorial number and not a regular number. He originally served abroad with the 6th Battalion as #4343.

The 6 digit number is also from the 6th Bn so he must have transferred sometime after early 1917.

Craig

Enrolled in Dowally Public School, 5 April 1893 (Perthshire School Registers, ancestry), left 17 March 1899.

Enrolled Perth Academy 11 Nov 1901 from Ballinluig P[ublic] S[chool] (spelt McDonald)

DoB: 14 June 1887

He served in 3 Black Watch Battalions:

1/6 Black Watch 4343

10 Black Watch 266719

1 Black Watch

(I agree about 266719 being a TF number - he might just have been allocated it in late 1916 - we've discussed it in another thread - in theory it was allocated in March 1917)

(Medal Roll + Medal Rolls Index Card in ancestry)

(I agree about 266719 being a TF number - he might just have been allocated it in late 1916 - we've discussed it in another thread - in theory it was allocated in March 1917)

(Medal Roll + Medal Rolls Index Card in ancestry)

Sorry - yes I should have pointed out many battalions had allocated numbers for the men in advance of the formal issuing of the numbers - I've seen the odd occurrence of this with the DLI.

Craig

There is a Register of Soldier's Effects wrongly indexed as John C (sic) McDonald.

Effects shared between mother, brother and two sisters. Probably no will?

There is (what is probably) an inventory as he was intestate presented at Perth Sheriff Court on 10 May 1919. (Wills in scotlandspeople)

There is a good piece in the Perthshire Advertiser of 13 Nov 1918, page 8 - it looks as if his parents were told when everyone else was celebrating the Armistice.

Can you get access to the Perthshire Advertiser? There is quite a lot of detail.

He had been a member of 5 V[olunteer] B[attalion] R[oyal] H[ighlanders] (the predecessor of 6 Black Watch). He joined the national reserve in 1914 then "transferred". He went to France in July 1916. There is quite a bit more. If you can't get access I will transcribe it all.

(You might also like to look at what I think is his brother (Tom MacDonald) in a New Year shoot. PA 9 January 1918 page 8).

rolt968.

Sorry, should have said, yes I can access Perthshire Advertiser on microfilm in the AK Bell Lbrary in Perth. Will check this out next time I visit.

Thanks again,

Dave

The Daily Casualty List of 5 September 1917 has him as wounded. (the genealogist)

Thanks again rolt968.

A story about celebrating the armistice. We had a lovely old lady of 87 who contacted the school and visited us for one of our remembrance services. She was a former pupil at the Academy as was her father. She had also been a teacher at the school. Her Dad was invalided out with shell shock. He went to visit his best friends Mum to celebrate the armistice, only to find her sitting with the telegram informing her that he had been killed. She also said that out of her Dad's class of about 25-30, only 7 or 8 survived. Really put things into perspective for the kids.

Best regards,

Dave

Perthshire Advertiser, 13th November 1918

“District News” “BALLINLUIG”

“Mrs Macdonald, farmer, Baledmund, Ballinluig, has been informed by Lieut. W. J. Ruske, Black Watch, that her elder son, Private John Alexander Macdonald, Black Watch, was killed in action instantaneously by a piece of shell on 24th October. The Lieut., who is platoon commander, states that his death proved a great blow to all in the platoon, and personally he mentions that he has lost the most willing and cheery soldier he ever commanded, and the men have lost their most trustworthy friend. Private Macdonald, who was for many years an enthusiastic volunteer in ‘H’ Coy. 5th V.B.R.H., Ballinluig section, enlisted at the outbreak of war in the national reserve. Transferring his service he went to France in July 1916, and was wounded through the shoulder in 1917. In October of the same year he was sent to Salonika where he remained until his regiment was transferred to France in July of this year. Deceased was joint tenant of the farm of Baledmund on the Atholl Estates, and a very capable agriculturist. He felt it was his duty to give his sevice for King and country, and he did so ungrudgingly. Possessed of a buoyant spirit and a frank, open, fearless nature, he was a great favourite in his native district, and much sympathy is felt for his sorrowing mother and friends in their heavy bereavement.”

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rolt,

The 5th (Perthshire Highland) Volunteer Battalion Royal Highlanders (with two sub-units of Argylls) became the Highland Cyclist Battalion. They were supposed to become the 8th (Cyclist) Battalion The Black Watch TF.

Hope this helps.

Tom McC