Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Early War Lewis Gun Paint

AdamMills97

In the early stages of the Lewis Gun being produced why did it have its jackets painted a khaki colour as opposed to just leaving it blued or blackened?

Was it just a sense of camouflage or was there more to it?

Thanks,

Adam

In the early stages of the Lewis Gun being produced why did it have its jackets painted a khaki colour

Were they?

Consensus is that radiator casing painting was actually done in the field rather than in production, and then following a General Routine Order of late 1915.

Joe Sweeney dug it (the GRO) up regarding the issue of paint, yet I can't lay hands on it or the thread at the moment.

Otherwise, official references to factory painting either seem not to exist or, at least, cannot be found.

Cheers,

GT.

I cannot speak to Lewis Guns -

but on SMLEs the paint / remnants of paint that is often found on barrels and other parts usually dates from WWII when as a time saving measure the painting of parts under the wooden furniture was authorised in place of the usual peacetime annual disassembly and greasing. This was an anti-corrosion measure and was authorised for all theatres of war - although dealers will often advertise "jungle" (if green) or "desert" (if khaki)- and was applied at the unit level - hence the wider variety of colours encountered.

Chris

Some years ago I had picked one of the earlier Marks of the .455 Webley. It had the typical FTR black paint job that was badly chipped and looked ratty.

I decided to just strip it and found a beautiful blued finish underneath. The only bad place was a spot on the backstrap where it looked like a rust pit had been ground out with a stone or grinder. A little emery cloth polishing and a bit of cold blue fixed that right up.......

The GRO was 1339 of 27-12-15. There were a number of changes to the Lewis gun accessories around this time.

Viz "The issue of a special preparation of khaki paint for painting the casings of Lewis guns is approved on the scale of 1 pint to each battalion in possession of these guns. The painting should be done under regimental arrangements."

I've had a Lewis which had the remnants of this khaki paint under a later green finish. It was an extremely tough heat proof enamel paint of a distinctive mustard shade of khaki. Most guns were later repainted in the usual deep bronze green shade.

Other Lewis items dating from that period were carrying bags which were also introduced in December 1915, the action covers followed in May 1916 and the sling in November 1916. Prior to that date the Lewis was either used without a sling or the simple expedient of two standard rifle slings joined end to end were used. This was attached to the gun by wrapping one end around the neck of the butt just behind the pistol grip, and the forward end of the sling was wrapped around the forward part of the casing and secured to itself, forming a loop.

This can be observed in photos taken during the Battle of the Somme for instance. It was officially recognised as a stop gap measure.

Clinometers had been issued for use with the Lewis but were clearly not required and were ordered to be withdrawn in June 1916.

Apparently a muzzle cover was also issued but is very seldom seen. I can only think of one photo I have seen of these in use.

I understand that both the action cover and the muzzle cover were originally intended for use by cyclists. The action cover at least seems to have subsequently gone on general issue.

Tocemma

I wonder how many were actually painted? From many photos they appear not to be done? This maybe the black and white / sepia effect but you can usually tell by shades etc? You can always see the luminous half moon on top of the magazine.

TT

I suspect that most eventually were, as were water jackets of Vickers MGs, the idea being reduction of reflection of light from well handled metal surfaces. I forgot to mention that I also had one example of a magazine that had been painted with the same paint. Clearly a case of, if in doubt, slap a coat of paint on it. There must have been others similarly treated.

Tocemma

The GRO was 1339 of 27-12-15. There were a number of changes to the Lewis gun accessories around this time.

Viz "The issue of a special preparation of khaki paint for painting the casings of Lewis guns is approved on the scale of 1 pint to each battalion in possession of these guns. The painting should be done under regimental arrangements."

Other Lewis items dating from that period were carrying bags which were also introduced in December 1915, the action covers followed in May 1916 and the sling in November 1916. Prior to that date the Lewis was either used without a sling or the simple expedient of two standard rifle slings joined end to end were used. This was attached to the gun by wrapping one end around the neck of the butt just behind the pistol grip, and the forward end of the sling was wrapped around the forward part of the casing and secured to itself, forming a loop.

This can be observed in photos taken during the Battle of the Somme for instance. It was officially recognised as a stop gap measure.

Clinometers had been issued for use with the Lewis but were clearly not required and were ordered to be withdrawn in June 1916.

Tocemma

Thanks TM - nice to see some facts.

Cheers,

GT.

thank you all for your replies, its cleared it up very well.

What purpose would the sling of had? I doubt it would hold the weight of the Lewis gun if slung on the shoulder

Sorry for being naïve

Adam

Yes it would. Wider than a rifle sling.

TT