Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with helmet insignia, please.

jholl72

Hi all,

I recently picked up this Brodie helmet and am absolutely stumped as to the insignia on the front. Can anyone help with this?? I have spent countless hours searching the web and have come up empty handed.

I am 100% convinced that this is the Goodyear logo - why they would have been using a WW1 helmet, I have no idea.

The insignia to me seems to have a Greek type feel to it. It reminds of Mercury or Achilles, something along those lines. Do you know if this helmet was used in that theatre?

Sorry can't be of more help

Martyn

I am 100% convinced that this is the Goodyear logo - why they would have been using a WW1 helmet, I have no idea.

Assuming that you are correct about the logo, and that the sign wasn't also used in WW1, my guess would be that:

1) The WW1 helmet was re-used in WW2 by a Home Guard unit based around a Firestone factory or office. Lots of firms raised their own units.

2) As above, but Fire Watcher rather than Home Guard.

BeppoSapone:

That's much as I thought, except I imagined some grizzled WW1 veteran, not necessarily in the HG, working for Goodyear at the outbreak of WW2.

To protect his head during air-raids, he goes back home, goes into his shed, and digs out his old helmet. To make sure he isn't mistaken for ARP, HG, etc, he stencils the company logo onto it.

Well, it might have happened... :lol:

Well it does look like the Goodyear logo :D , but the design of the shoe is a little different. As for what theatre this helmet came from, I don't know. I picked it up in an antiques store and noone knew anything about it. ( I am about to share my ignorance with you) What other countries used the Brodie helmet besides Britain, Canada, Australia?

How long has Goodyear been in business???? :lol:

Thanks guys,

Jeff

I may have the answer, what say ye all.

With nothing else to work with I looked up the history of the Goodyear company and it turns out they were making blimps for the military in the First World War. Could this be a helmet associated with blimp brigade ;). Maybe, maybe not. Now to research blimps in WWI.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff,

400000 British helmets went to the US Army.

Could not find any association with any particular unit. Not surprisingly as many undocumented unit symbols existed.

A guess is it may have something to do with the RE Signal Service or it maybe an American unit symbol.

Joe Sweeney

• 2 weeks later...

Seen a similar helmet on ebay, marked with the Boots logo this time:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2281826420

Ding, Ding, Ding I think we have a winner. Now to contact Goodyear and see if I can get one million dollars for it :lol: . Thanks for the help guys it is much appreciated.

Regards,

Jeff

Guest Greg Nehring

:huh: Hi all, I'm new to the forum and as a newbie here's my thoughts. First of all it is not a Canadian divisional or battalion. What about a prototype signals or battalion runners' patch?

Cheers,

Greg

Just a thought, it looks a lot like a Mercury's winged foot as in Greek Mythology and Interflora flower diliveries. Type of logo that would be used by a messenger being "fleet of foot". Could be an unofficial logo by say a WAAC messenger.