Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

211 records

cshambidge

Could shed some light on his movements before he was wounded and subsequently died before returning to England his details are

Name: MILES

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery

Unit Text: 211th Siege Bty.

Date of Death: 27/10/1918

Service No: 39082

Additional information: Husband of L. M. Miles, of 53, Montgomerie Rd., Southsea,

Portsmouth.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial

Reference: IV. F. 1.

Cemetery: TOURGEVILLE MILITARY CEMETERY

Regards

Colin.

Colin,

I would suggest you get his service records (what are available) from either Ancestry or FInd my Past. Although there are not many pages it will tell you when he joined 211th Sge Bty, one of his previous batteries and what he died from.

Kevin

Colin: You need to obtain a copy of "Two Eleven": Being the History of 211 Siege Battery RGA on the Western Front, Portsmouth: W. H. Barrell, 1925. The Roll of Honour in that book indicates that Corporal Henry J. Miles was gassed on 14 October 1918 and died on 27 October 1918. The text indicates that:

"Next morning [13 October 1918] A, B and C guns, under Sergts. Novel and Jenks and Corporal Miles, left Hamel at 2.30 am and reached Becquigny at eight. They were parked in the Square under the trees near a timber yard, whence the sergeant of B gun obtained the material for a good platform. At mid day they were hurriedly orderded forward to Escaufourt to support the advancing Infantry in their attack and crossing of the River Selle, and were in position there at the crossroads by 2/30 pm/ D gun, temporarily borrowend from "168" arrived under Sergt. Massey at 10 pm. The position was intermittently bombarded by H. E. and gas shells, and between the bursts of shelling the guns were got ready for action. A heavy shell blew in the cellar of B sub., overthrowing a wall and burying the greater part of their ammunition. During all that night the enemy continued to send gas into the village and at sunrise the air was heavily charged with it. During the morning many complained of sickness and were sent down the line. Relieving sections arrived at eleven, pulled out three of the guns and took them back to Honnechy, the fourth gun being taken back at 10 pm. Of those gassed, Fred Earl, Bombr. Moreton Smith, J. I. Kaine, Corporal Miles, Ted Kelsey, Sandie Laird, Horace Owen, J. T. Phipps and John D'Este succumbed in the hospital. . ."

Pages 81 through 86 give a detailed "Itinerary" of the Battery from 15 July 1916 when it was formed at Falmouth to 28 July 1919 when the cadre arrived at Antwerp. Opposite page 56 is a photo (with names indentified) of the battery personnel taken on 15 May 1918 which includes Corp. Miles.

"Two Eleven" was privately printed in presumably a very small edition. It looks very hard to find, unless it has been digitised somewhere. Unless someone knows better?

Keith

Keith: I purchased my copy some years ago. It was printed in Portsmouth in 1925 in a leather (or simulated leather) binding. My copy is signed by a member of the battery and the title page states "Compiled by and privately printed for those who served in it." I have no idea how large the edition was and am not aware of a digitsed edition.

like most of these siege battery histories usually very hard to find and should you come across one,,buy it because if you do not somebody else will

The Barrell who published it was probably a member of the undertakers business of that name that still operate a few hundred yards from my home. They used to advertise in the local parish magazine throughout the war. I suspect that a family member served in the unit.

And yes, I would pounce on a copy should one appear

Keith

Update on the publisher Barrells. The firm that published the book were a printing business based in High street Portsmouth. My reference to the undertaking business of that name was just plain wrong, although there may be a family connection.

Col W G Barrell certainly served in the Portsmouth Company of the RGA so there seems to be a strong link. The local history centre has much material about him.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for all of your comments and time and trouble it is good to see so many people out there who care regards Colin.

Colin: You need to obtain a copy of "Two Eleven": Being the History of 211 Siege Battery RGA on the Western Front, Portsmouth: W. H. Barrell, 1925. The Roll of Honour in that book indicates that Corporal Henry J. Miles was gassed on 14 October 1918 and died on 27 October 1918. The text indicates that:

"Next morning [13 October 1918] A, B and C guns, under Sergts. Novel and Jenks and Corporal Miles, left Hamel at 2.30 am and reached Becquigny at eight. They were parked in the Square under the trees near a timber yard, whence the sergeant of B gun obtained the material for a good platform. At mid day they were hurriedly orderded forward to Escaufourt to support the advancing Infantry in their attack and crossing of the River Selle, and were in position there at the crossroads by 2/30 pm/ D gun, temporarily borrowend from "168" arrived under Sergt. Massey at 10 pm. The position was intermittently bombarded by H. E. and gas shells, and between the bursts of shelling the guns were got ready for action. A heavy shell blew in the cellar of B sub., overthrowing a wall and burying the greater part of their ammunition. During all that night the enemy continued to send gas into the village and at sunrise the air was heavily charged with it. During the morning many complained of sickness and were sent down the line. Relieving sections arrived at eleven, pulled out three of the guns and took them back to Honnechy, the fourth gun being taken back at 10 pm. Of those gassed, Fred Earl, Bombr. Moreton Smith, J. I. Kaine, Corporal Miles, Ted Kelsey, Sandie Laird, Horace Owen, J. T. Phipps and John D'Este succumbed in the hospital. . ."

Pages 81 through 86 give a detailed "Itinerary" of the Battery from 15 July 1916 when it was formed at Falmouth to 28 July 1919 when the cadre arrived at Antwerp. Opposite page 56 is a photo (with names indentified) of the battery personnel taken on 15 May 1918 which includes Corp. Miles.

I have tried in vane to get a copy of the book I went to visit my great uncles grave (corp Miles) in France is there any chance you could post the photo on this site? Colin.

Colin: PM me your email address.