Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ramleh War Cemetery

michaeldr

A friend has asked for my help in providing a photograph of a headstone which is in this particular CWGC and thus outside the scope of the Jerusalem Consulate-General's scheme which is mentioned elsewhere in this section.

I hope to be able to oblige in the next few days or so.

If there is anyone else amongst the Pals who has a similar request then please e-mail me with details of the name/row/number etc. and I will see what I can do. All the usual caveats apply (plus any more that my wife and family can think of.)

Regards

Michael D.R.

Notwithstanding the new info (as given in my post of today under the topic "Jerusalem Memorial") for cemeteries within the bailiwick of the CWGC representative in Tel Aviv and their email address, which once again is cwgcills@netvision.net.il

I still hope to visit Ramleh War Cemetery soon and will oblige those who have made requests for photographs

Regards

Michael D.R.

Michael,

Although the burials were in 1948 I would be grateful of one photograph of the following group of graves.

The reason can be seen at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/somme/page16.html which is a page from my site concerning the burials in 1948 when there were just wooden grave markers. The names can be read but not from the images on the page.

CWGC supplied the following:-

Casualty: Corporal J WRIGHT, T/14058833

Grave Reference: Plot 17 Row B Grave 14

Casualty: Private G N WILSON, 19005410

Grave Reference: Plot 17 Row A Grave 13

Casualty: Gunner J A PREECE, 14476808

Grave Reference: Plot 17 Row C Grave 14

regards

Stuart

for cemeteries within the bailiwick of the CWGC representative in Tel Aviv and their email address, which once again is cwgcills@netvision.net.il

It now appears that the info previously supplied is nolonger valid, please note the following:

For those War Cemeteries which are covered from the Consulate in Tel Aviv, (ie. not Jerusalem, Gaza or Deir El Balah) then the email address previously given is not to be used. The preferred method of working for those who require photographs from these War Cemeteries is that you contact the CWGC HQ at Maidenhead (see this site's Links page) with your request which will then be forwarded by them to Tel Aviv. As I understand it at the moment there is no official charge for this service, however a donation is usual.

Regards

Michael D.R.

PS: Stuart & others - I still hope to assist at Ramleh in a little while

I regret that I cannot accept any more requests this time around and the above offer is now closed. In a few days I will be contacting those who have already requested pics, hopefully with some good news

Regards

Michael D.R.

I would just like to add a brief public note of thanks to Michael (michaeldr) for sending me some excellent prints of headstones in Ramleh War Cemetery which I received today together with a couple of general photos of the cemetery and covering explanatory letter.

What is more, rather than accept any form of reimbursement for the time, effort and expense involved in taking these photos and sending them to me from Israel, Michael suggested that a donation be made on his behalf to the Long, Long Trail Website which to quote "has been such a help to us all".

This I will gladly do.

Many thanks and regards

Marc

A friend has asked for my help in providing a photograph of a headstone which is in this particular CWGC...

I must admit to being the guilty party alluded to above, and I would like to endorse Marc's comments. Thankyou Michael. Your explanatory pictures and comments are the next best thing to visting in person, and give an excellent idea of the cemetery and location. Pte Spick's nephew was impressed that a photo could even be arranged, and he'll be even more impressed when he sees this series of views.

Thanks and regards from Kate and Martin

I would like to echo Kate and Marc's comments.

The photographs received yesterday were superb and some will be added to the site Reverend Pointon's Pictures to be displayed alongside the original wooden grave markers of 1948, credit will be given to the photographer. I have looked at these old black and white photographs many times but nevere dreamed that I would actually see it as it is today. Thank you.

The suggestion of a donation to this site has already been completed.

For those of you interested below is a picture of Ramleh War Cemetery today. Note the mosque in the background.

Marc, Kate, Stuart,

Many thanks for your kind remarks

It really was a most interesting morning and had I not been on cook-house duty that day I could easily have spent much longer there as there is so much to see. All the different nationalities represented in two world wars plus the Mandate period between the wars and up to 1948, the different headstones designs eg the Czechs and the Palestine Police, etc etc etc

Marc, thank you for putting up the picture of the WW I section of the cemetery which I hope reassures everyone that the local staff of the CWGC are doing a first rate job in keeping the place as you would expect it.

Once again, many thanks for your remarks

and thank you for prodding me into getting myself to take a morning off to have a look at Ramleh

Best Regards

Michael D.R.