Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sergeant, James Stevenson DCM, MM RE 19043

SapperBoo

Sgt Stevenson was serving with 5 Field Survey Company when he won the DCM. The action happened at 2 pm on 17 June 1917 whilst he was "re-secting the position for 303 SB at 37587 in Ypres" at that time he was attached to 19th Corps Heavy Artillery.

Can anyone suggest where I might find the War Diary for the 19th or 303 SB (I assume the B stands for Battery).

Thanks

generally speaking war diaries are at the national archives at Kew - cant say for certain though re specific units

303 SIEGE BATTERY, R.G.A. I just need to buy the book!

303 SB war diary here for the period you need just by chance. It can be download it for a small fee.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7349327

His citation:

19043 Spr (A L/Cpl)J Stevenson ( Southampton E.) RE

LG 17 Sept 1917

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in surveying battery positions under shell fire. He completed his work with accuracy and success, notably on one occasion when he was in the midst of heavy shelling."

TR

Thanks Terry,

Unfortunately the diaries have not been digitised yet so I think it could be a very big fee! I have a copy of the hand written recommendation for an award that came courtesy of the Sgt Stevenson's granddaughter in-law. I did try to upload this with my original post but it is too big.

Thanks again.

I think the citation has been taken from this letter. I have just reduced the resolution and they have now loaded. I am trying to find out where he was when he won the DCM (and later the MM). The reference 37587 Ypres should be a clue! He died of Influenza and Pneumonia in December 1918 when his son was about 3 months old. The "Artillery's Astrologers" mentions him once in connection with the MM.

post-105855-0-37221800-1433607432_thumb.

post-105855-0-74217600-1433607483_thumb.

Thanks for that. It is interesting to see, understandably, that the official citation has been cut to bare bones so speak.

Just out of interest, I have a group of medals to RE surveyor - James W Harrison who was the first CSM of the Depot Field Survey Company and the the first RSM of the Depot Field Survey Battalion. He settled in Southampton after the war and was employed by the OS. He was a pre-war sapper who had seen service during the Boer war and was serving with 19 Field Survey Company iat the outbreak of war.

TR

Hi Terry,

James W Harrison is on my to do list! I have a nominal roll of Royal Engineers on the Ordnance Survey on 1 January 1914. I trying find out what happened to them. I have nearly completed most of the ones who died, including Sgt Stevenson, but there is always more to do. I have made a first pass through the list but found little on James W Harrison. I have is Medal Card and the medal and awards rolls (on the same page James is another OS Sapper) but nothing else. You may be interested to know James was based at the Ordnance Survey office in York on 1 Jan 1914. Any details of James would be helpful. I think I will look at him next!

Thanks

Clive