Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Great War Magazine

GaryS

Guys

I won a selection of these magazines on Ebay and they run from 1916 to 1919 and are extremely interesting.

I just read one article about the fall of Antwerp, suppose for a inute that someone on here wanted to read the article, could I scan the pages and post them here without breaching copyright or will it still exist after 80 years?

I have it in mind to catalogue the magazines and offer lookups of honour rolls (just officers it seems) and/or stories and articles. I'll need a bit of time for that though.

• 2 years later...

Just bumping this up to see if anyone has an answer or wants something looking up.

My understanding would be that copyright has run out. Usually 70 ish years. Though copyright is very much a minefeild!

That said if you copied for someones use not publication I would think you would be hard press to get someone to come after you.

regards

Arm

My understanding would be that copyright has run out. Usually 70 ish years. Though copyright is very much a minefeild!

That said if you copied for someones use not publication I would think you would be hard press to get someone to come after you.

regards

Arm

As I understand it, if you own the original, then you can do as you wish with it it it was first printed more than 75 years ago. A lot of the maritime collectors I know buy postcards on this basis to illustrate their books etc. ( I did hear a rumour that it had been upped to 80-85 but it didn't affect anything I research so I didn't check it out)

Say if you had copied it at a library/institution for instance, then you would have to seek their permission to reproduce regardless of how old it is depending on their policy.

Before I got my own set, the NA let me use a digital camera to photograph staright out of De Ruvigny's, they have the Great War magazine there too and I don't assume it would be any different for that which indicates it's your to do with as you please.

That is for the UK of course.

If you try and attach a picture on Wikipedia, which is American, then you have to make a statement as to where you got the image. One of the allowances which grants you permission to post it on the site is if it was published in a newspaper etc. for the first time prior to - I think - 1923.

Probably expired and if you can't trace the current 'owners' of the title (i.e. a publishing firm descended from the original) then realistically no-one is going to take isue with you.

On a slightly different theme the current editor of the successor local newspaper to that of the war years told me to 'help yourself' in terms of quotes/copying from the old paper.

Bernard

Probably expired and if you can't trace the current 'owners' of the title (i.e. a publishing firm descended from the original) then realistically no-one is going to take isue with you.

On a slightly different theme the current editor of the successor local newspaper to that of the war years told me to 'help yourself' in terms of quotes/copying from the old paper.

Bernard

Thanks Guys, I think I'd better start getting copies of the pictures out!

Any requests? ;)

A large portion of the photos that appeared in the magazine are actually Crown Copyright. Copies are held at the Dept of Photographs at the Imperial War Museum.

As I understand it, if you own the original, then you can do as you wish with it it it was first printed more than 75 years ago. A lot of the maritime collectors I know buy postcards on this basis to illustrate their books etc. ( I did hear a rumour that it had been upped to 80-85 but it didn't affect anything I research so I didn't check it out)

Everytime we discuss copyright lots of conflicting advice is posted, partly because there's so much confusion about the subject. My understanding is that the photograph/image on a postcard remains the copyright of the photographer/artist or possibly the purchaser for 70 years after that person's death. The family of one well-known Wiltshire postcard publisher of the early 1910s still expects to be asked for permission when a card is reproduced, but is very co-operative when this is done.

Moonraker

Moonraker,

According to the UK Patent office 70 years + life applies to art, (Would this cover the illustrations drawn for war publications? Not sure)

This is what they have to say about photographs...

"Photographs taken before 1 January 1945

For such photographs, copyright would have expired on 31 December 1994 or earlier. However, if such a photograph was protected on 1 July 1995 in another European Economic Area (EEA) state under legislation relating to copyright or related rights, copyright would have been revived from 1 January 1996 to the end of the term applying to photographs taken on or after 1 January 1996. In deciding whether a photograph was protected in another EEA state, it is, of course, the law of that state which must be interpreted and the criteria used to decide whether a photograph should receive any protection at all would need to be considered very carefully.

The state where the longest copyright protection may have existed on 1 July 1995 is Germany, which generally had a term of life plus 70 years, but it is likely that not all photographs which qualified for copyright protection in the UK would have been protected in Germany. Copyright law in a number of other EEA states could also have given a longer term of protection for a photograph than in the UK.

Where copyright in a photograph was revived on 1 January 1996, there are transitional provisions and savings for those who were exploiting or want to exploit the photograph."

Their definition of "revived copyright" is as follows:

Where the person who owned copyright when it expired was still alive on 1 January 1996, that person will own revived copyright. However, where that person died before 1 January 1996, it will generally be the photographer or his personal representative who owns any revived copyright

Regarding the Crown Copyright, according to the Museum Copyright Group, which exists to assist people working in museums/galleries understand such issues, Crown Copyright on a photograph expires 50 years after creation.

Freddy