The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

cap badge/uniform help

Jerry B

Two photos of the same group of officers, early post war I assume as one has his trio up along with an MC, some still have cuff rank tunics including a senior officers, Colonel or?

In the one pic they are being presented to a group of young people, some in uniform but I cant make out the badges or what the uniform is.

As always, thanks for any help.

new%20photo%20scans%20from%20dai%20may%2

and the second pic.

A closer for detail.

I'll start with the easy ones: the 2 on the flanks are Gunners and one in from the right is a Welsh Guardsman. Chap in the middle could be a Dorset (although I can't see a sphinx on top of the castle).

In the bottom photo the lance corporal wears the diamond Efficiency Badge (Volunteers) on his lower left sleeve. Wrong sleeve, but hey ho.

This fell into disuse in the war and Edwards and Langley say "not to be revived after the war although they were continued for a time in the ACF and JTC/ CCF". That, combined with the evident young age of some of the parade, suggests a school inspection.

The cadet lance corporal's badge could be Queen's or Leicesters (see below).

Of the group, I'd say the two at each end are RA, second from right Welsh Guards and second from left Leicesters.

Cheers,

GT.

Thanks guys, I had got the two gunner officer, the Leicesters, Welsh guards, Essex/Dorsets certainly one with a castle in the middle of a wreath in the middle. It was more the other pic with the youngsters in in that I was asking about, sorry if that was not made clear.

The cap badge could if you squint pass for welsh, a school or cadet unit, but perhaps not.

perhaps this will help.

a school or cadet unit, but perhaps not.

See my remark about the Efficiency Badge - only worn post-war by cadets.

Cheers,

GT.

See my remark about the Efficiency Badge - only worn post-war by cadets.

Cheers,

GT.

This was more about them having the Welsh Regiment badge rather than cadets, but indeed great to confirm they are cadets.

Thanks for the confirmation, as there are so many young men/boys I assumed they would be one or the other.

I'd go with Leicesters badges for the cadets, with the "Hindoostan" scroll across the top of the tiger.

I think there was a CCF (OTC junior division) that had a cap badge based on the Leicestershire Regt. I recall seeing it in K&K.

I had not considered Leicesters for the cadets. I got the images in Wales and I had assumed they were Welsh related with the Welsh Guards officer present but Leicesters is of course entirely plausible and perhaps that is the answer.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

The officer in the middle may be Norfolks, Britannia in the centre with the wreath around

Regards

I had not considered Leicesters for the cadets. I got the images in Wales and I had assumed they were Welsh related with the Welsh Guards officer present but Leicesters is of course entirely plausible and perhaps that is the answer.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

The CCF that wore a Leicestershire Regt 'style' badge was Oakham School, Rutland. The lower scroll bore the school's name OTC, and the upper scroll a curved wreath of laurel. It can be seen in K&K Vol 2, as image number 2637. I believe that the photos shows an Oakham School CCF summer camp between the wars.

The CCF that wore a Leicestershire Regt 'style' badge was Oakham School, Rutland. The lower scroll bore the school's name OTC, and the upper scroll a curved wreath of laurel. It can be seen in K&K Vol 2, as image number 2637. I believe that the photos shows an Oakham School CCF summer camp between the wars.

Brilliant and thanks.

Uppingham School also wore a Leicesters style cap badge, without a top scroll and "Uppingham" on the bottom scroll.

m_tLmcVb2SUHfvPhabonhlQ.jpg Like this

Uppingham School also wore a Leicesters style cap badge, without a top scroll and "Uppingham" on the bottom scroll.

Like this

Yes, I discounted that option as the photo seems to show a top scroll.