Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ELSIE & MAIRI

singin

Good evening all,

I know this is short notice, but together with a few WFA mates, I am off to the Ypres area later this week and having read the book on these two nurses I would like to know if there are any locations or monuments which relate to them which are worth attempting to locate during our visit?

Is it worth visiting Pervyse, or has all the relevant locations been swept away?

Any help would be appreciated.

John E

If you happen to be near the Ariane Hotel in Ypres, they have a fairly new monument to the Ladies in their "back garden" consisting of sculptures of them and their dog!

Clive

Pervijze was badly damaged. Post 1 was at 29 Schoorbakkestraat which today has a passing resemblance to the original house. The cellar is still there but I'm told the owner would not welcome a knock on the door. The old railway line which formed the Belgian front line is 70 yards away and is now a cycle path. If you follow it north to Ramskapelle you will find some restored bunkers. Posts 2 and 3 on Veurnestraat have not been rebuilt in their original form. The Bisschoppelijk college at Veurne which housed the hospital is still there. You should also visit the new exhibition at Nieuwpoort beneath the King Albert memorial.

As far as I know the Mairi and Elsie scupture at the Ariane Hotel in Ypres originally was planned to be in Pervijze. But (I hope I am not wrong) Pervijze was not interested enough / anymore ...

So Ariane hotel gave the Ladies board and lodging.

Aurel

Thanks Gents

We will add the sculpture and a visit to Pervijze to the journey plan

John E

Forgive my ignorance but whilst I may well have them in my records I cannot identify them by Forenames.

Tony

Mairi Chisholm and Elsie Knocker (later the Baroness de T'Serclaes), who originally went out to Belgium with Dr Hector Munro's Ambulance Corps.

Mairi Chisholm and Elsie Knocker (later the Baroness de T'Serclaes), who originally went out to Belgium with Dr Hector Munro's Ambulance Corps.

Well done Siege Gunner, the names now ring a bell.

Tony

Shot the dog is there!

288840_elsie&mairi.jpg

Photo from the Ariane website.

• 7 years later...
On 02/06/2015 at 11:19, Simon Jones said:

Pervijze was badly damaged. Post 1 was at 29 Schoorbakkestraat which today has a passing resemblance to the original house. The cellar is still there but I'm told the owner would not welcome a knock on the door. The old railway line which formed the Belgian front line is 70 yards away and is now a cycle path. If you follow it north to Ramskapelle you will find some restored bunkers. Posts 2 and 3 on Veurnestraat have not been rebuilt in their original form. The Bisschoppelijk college at Veurne which housed the hospital is still there. You should also visit the new exhibition at Nieuwpoort beneath the King Albert memorial.

Amazed to read your brilliant description! Didnt see your post last year unfortunately. I drove to Pervyse last May 2022 on trail of my grandfather who was  plane was hit  by AA south of Ostende .by a miracle or very close to one he hung on and witnesses described the plane diving then fluttering like a leaf then diving. His gunlayer lost his grip , very tragic. Grandad hung on and threw himself clear just before plane hit the ground .

Plane landed "near Pervyse our side of the lines ".

So last May off I went . Thought he would have landed North East of Pervyse but since then realised the inundations there would have drowned him as the plane broke up and rolled over on top of him.

Now i reckon he landed west of Pervyse. 

I didnt stop at Pervyse sadly no time to search for the Dressing Station which i had read is now under a school.

You describe 3 posts for nursing. Interesting I thought the 2 women had only the cellar.

I found a coincidence- Elise s adopted father was Classics tutor at Marlborough College late 1890s to late  1920s . My grandfather was living at the College on site with his Uncle the Music Professor at the College from about 1906 attending M.C. for 2 years from 1911 to end 1912 .

I think likely they met! Imagine them meeting on day of grandfathers crash.22 03 1918.

However the book I read about Marie and Elise states Elise was unwell in March and in hospital in London.

I do know for certain that grandfather  was treated at La La Panne s famous and ahead of it's time Belgian Red Cross Hospital. They even had X Ray machines there  and hence treatment for multiple fractures of both legs upper and lower started for grandad

I drove there and photographed  the extraordinary sandy beach front . Hotel / Hospital long gone but those Dunes remain much as before.

Anyway I wanted to thank you . If I get there again I ll check the Veurnes Road location . 

Regards 

Fiona 

On 02/06/2015 at 11:19, Simon Jones said:

Forgot to say 

As I left Pervyse for  Las Panne on the Ramscappelle road, I turned right and drove down a side road through fields .dead end and a cycle path .

The old railway track as you said! Fabulous! At least I made it to the front line.

Thanks again 

Fiona