Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

croix de guerre

advice please on how to find out how/why my grandfather j.h.cheesman.c.s.m. tyneside irish&k.o.y.l.i. won the croix de guerre twice. medal verified but cant find records etc. lots of detailed first hand info. available of his involvement ww1 pleasehelp.

Kenneth,

Was he awarded any other medals, e.g. Military Medal, Distinguished Conduct Medal, etc? Foreign awards were often awarded 'on the back of' other gallantry awards, not for a separate action. Foreign awards were given to other combatant nations to be awarded to troops as their commanders saw fit. In this way, a man who had been awarded perhaps a DCM & MM could find that he had consequently been awarded the foreign order, too.

Hope that helps,

Ken

It is unlikely you will find details of Why he was awarded the Croix de Guerre,Thankfully you have confirmation,as stated above some were awarded "on the back" of another award,Others would have been awarded as "Lesser" awards to compliment British Awards for an Action,to Reward some of those whose gallantry was considered worthy,yet not quite up to the Mark of an MM or a DCM Etc;[They may have never even seen a French Soldier,let alone done anything in relation to the French Forces,~ Foreign awards were distributed amongst the Allies Reciprocally,so there was no prerequisite for them to serve alongside French {or other Allies} forces to get a Foreign Medal.Then again some were for specific acts in connection with the Allies~ sadly it is often impossible to find out :(

( .Then again some were for specific acts in connection with the Allies~ sadly it is often impossible to find out :)

I tried to find out the details of a man who had been awarded the Belgian Croix-de-Guerre, wrote to the Defense Dept., in Brussels who kindly wrote back saying if I could give them the date of the award ( which is what I wanted to know) they would let me have the details

• 1 month later...

Hi - First post so I hope this works. I was looking for the citation and details on a Croix De Guerre awarded to Captain Geoffrey Skirrow in 1917. I wrote to the French Ministry of Defence ( Bureau Central d'archives, administratives militaires, Section Citations ), Caserne Bernadotte. Place De Verdun, 64000 PAU, France. After about 4 months I got a certificate, citation copy and a friendly letter. You could give thema try

Cheers

Fraser