Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Review of Troops: 20 May 1915, The Town Moor, Newcastle upon Tyn

INW

The centenary of this event has recently past and I wonder if any forum members have information or images of the event. For those that do not know Newcastle the Town Moor is a huge open space to the north of the city centre. Although not formally announced to the public many attended and it was reported in the newspapers in the following days. The in attached articles there is a reference to a news reel film and perhaps this still exists. Many regiments stationed or training in the North East paraded past the King, Lord Kitchener and many local dignitaries. A hand bill listing the regiments appears in a book on either the Tyneside Scottish or Irish. I believe my grandfather was there with the 1/2nd Scottish Horse Yeomanry. By August the Scottish Horse were on their way to Gallipoli and no doubt other regiments were sent to the Western Front.

post-92606-0-29337700-1433088378_thumb.j

SIMON

Thank you very much for this. I have been looking for this for a couple of years so I am very grateful. The 'further data' on the ITN web page gives the correct date. Is this something you have looked at before or have you just done a search today? Newcastle libraries have an illustrated weekly newspaper with a photograph that has much the same character as the film. Unfortunately the archived newspaper has been 'reinforced' with a muslin so it is difficult to see in any detail. I attach the programme listing the regiments on the parade. I credit the reference as either the Tyneside Scottish or the Tyneside Irish books by John Sheen and others.

IAN WELLS

post-92606-0-11997600-1433106201_thumb.j

Glad to help - I've checked itn before and thought it might be a possibility. Just out of interest where was the picture house on Westgate Road?